Author Topic: Wither aakp?  (Read 2969 times)

admin

Wither aakp?
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Wither aakp?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the deal with the AAKP? When you look at the staff bios no one has worked there more than 14 months other than the Executive Director who has been there for 16 years.

As a rule of thumb - when staff tenure is non-existent it is a red flag.

Is it more than irrelevance? Is there some shenanigans going on? Financial shenanigans?

****************************************************************************     

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to guidestar,org they were late filing their 2004 990 and they still haven't filed their 2005 990.

On 1.4 million in revenue they have nine staff, including an Office Manager and an Administrative Assistant but no Controller or Accountant. Of that 1.4 million $120,000 - nearly 10% went to the Executive Director.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:   

They started an on advocacy and public policy effort at the beginning of the
year but by the end of the year they had discontinued it - no explaination.

They request donations but they never publish any kind of accounting or annual report. It's just give us money and we'll keep putting out these magazines and holding an annual convention at a big hotel.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:   

http://aakp.org/AAKP/Press/2006/jeffersongroup.htm
they just announced that they are starting a new policy effort ... their approach was to hire a $100,000 a year Washington DC lobbying firm ... is that an insult to patients or what? Instead of being a platform for patients to speak to Congress and Medicare they spend their money on hiring expensive lawyers.

I for the life of me can't understand a patient organization that thinks so little of patients. It seems like the aakp thinks patients are too dumb to advocate for themselves the aakp would rather hire a social worker and a bunch of lawyers to do what patients could do so much better.

walterj8855

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: One Million!!!!   

?We have experienced a year of remarkable growth in which more programs were offered to more patients than ever before in our history,? said Executive Director/CEO Kris Robinson. ?Our magazines reach as many as 180,000 people annually, our newsletters and 800# reach more than 12,500, and our unique website page views reach more than 71,000 per month. This, in addition to the many thousands of requests we receive for information via telephone and email, the number of people who attend our educational programs, our Chapter activities and our Convention attendees shows we have reached over a million patients and their friends and families. We will continue to provide the best information for kidney patients, and continue to try and reach even more patients in the coming years.?

How does one record an 800#. What is going on with this place? I agree with the person before. Nobody has bee there for more than 1 year. Somethings not right there and do we really need a lawyer speaking for us. I dont think so!!!

plugger

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: aakp   

I haven't known much about the aakp, but from what I'm reading it sounds like a whole lot of money being spent for next to nothing. I have to wonder where this 1.4 million in revenue is coming from? Is it all patient donations or not?

walterj8855

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: American Association of Kidney Patients Sues   

American Association of Kidney Patients Sues over Losing Elegibility To Receive Donations from Combined Federal Campaign http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/01/AR2006080101270.html

Now theyve lost their eligibility to accept CFC donations!!! something is so not right with this place. I've received donation letters from them in the past and searched for them on the computer under my states charity registry and they were not listed in my state. Is there a national database they're listed under??? I just dont get it. everyone in this kidney disease world is out to make money money MONEY!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:   

Try http://www.guidestar.org/ you have to register but it is free and there is alot of information there - check out the 990s

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy