Author Topic: State Inspection  (Read 1902 times)

admin

State Inspection
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »
Kevin

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: State Inspection  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrived at my unit to find a notification on the patient bulletin board that said an inspection was in progress and anyone wanting to talk to the State could do so in the unit or by calling their number after the inspection is over. Has anyone ever seen a notice like this in their unit? I was shocked to see it as I've never seen a notice like that before or been invited by the State to voice complaints. Of course, I wouldn't want to make a complaint in view of the staff in dialysis. I'd like to tell the State my complaints if I could do so anonymously. Any ideas how I should go about this, make sure a report is done and get a copy of it anonymously as well? Does it do any good to tell the State that my staff is not educated enough or is that something they don't deal with?  

Kevin

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: inspection  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s I assumed this is a State inspection, but the notice said it is a Medicare Inspection. Is that the same thing?  

patient

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: state inspections  

normally the state will get involved if a regulation is not being met. As far as a judgment that you feel that the staff is not competent then the clinic will have the burden of proof with past treatment sheets, re-use issues, cleanliness of unit, water purification, if their is a patient to staff ratio for your state etc. As far as anonymous tips to CMS you either call from your own home with telephone using call block feature from telephone service provider or notify from neighbors house. If you are worried about retaliation from unit (this is illegal for CMS patients) do not give your name. Hope this helps you in some way, if I left anything out or if more information is needed, I am sure another poster will jump in and inform.  

patientwife

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: State Inpection  

I encourage you to take advantage of opportunity to make your concerns known to State (Medicare) inspectors, and to staff, as well, if you feel comfortable about doing so. Patient concerns need to be expressed firstly by patients. Your opening up about your experiences and questions re quality care need to be expressed to all who are in a position to effect some changes. Your, the patient's, voice carries more weight than any other.<
><
>I don't know what state you are in, but I was involved with an inspection (in Louisiana). One of the inspector's opening questions was, "Do you want to remain anonymous about this inspection?" The same opportunity will be given you, I am sure. The conversation which followed was a two-way one; it was not just about my voicing complaints. Upon receipt of investigator's report, it was observed that the facility had been cited in 4 areas of deficiencies. <
><
>Units are usually given chance to correct whatever deficiencies are found, unless, I guess, they are so bad that closure is warranted. Personally, I do not want to see units closed; I want them to clean up their act -- provide quality service with good staff, respect patients as it pertains to involvement in medical care.<
><
>I can imagine your apprehension. We know what happens too often. But it does us no good to complain among ourselves. We have got to take risks, to tell the truth to those who can help us, and to keep telling the truth until we see the changes that have been needed for too long. Somewhere along the road, we will be heard.<
><
><
><
> <
><
>  

fly

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: taped conversations  

Does the state tape conversations?  

Lin

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: NJ  

I go to a unit in NJ and here there is a 1-800 number posted on a placard nailed to the wall in waiting room. The state usually comes in unannounced, but have never had them talk to pts. that I know of. I'm sure they wouldn't steer them in my direction anyway lol Lin.  

my angel got her wings

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: NJ  

if i may ask lin is it a gam
o or vivra clinic,,,,,and what part of nj,,,as i am in nj as well  

FYI

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Surveys  

State inspections are the same as a Medicare inspection. I still suggest that if you are fearful, hand the surveyor your number. Many patients are fearful to speak out as if they are talking to an inspector and talk to long or are caught, they are fearful of retaliation in many cases.<
><
>I dont know why the surveyors dont give out their cards for you to call safely at home on an 800 number. This has baffled me to no end. If you want change, you need to speak out...as the saying goes, you dont talk to the warden with complaints about the guards...the warden goes home.<
><
>This for some reason the government hasnt gotten is the fear factor and the ESRD Networks also siding with the clinics. But call the health dept and ask that they hand out cards on how to reach them. This should be mandatory, cards given to all patients and promised that their names are confidential. You all need to speak out in a safe manner.<
>Arlene  

Lin

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Number on wall  

so that in NJ pts. don't have to worry that staff will witness them talking to an inspector. I go to an FMC unit, but it is a state regulation that the number be posted in ALL units, such as the ombudsment number is posted in all hospitals and nursing homes. Lin.  

Kevin

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: State's number on wall  

I have been in several units and the State's number has always been posted. If I did not come to this board, I wouldn't know what the State does and that there would be any use in calling the State. In one of the units I was in. I did call the state anonymously, but the person I talked to didn't do anything. He told me it was hard to catch the unit at not following protocols and suggested I call the company's regional director. I did not feel helped by this perosn at all. And I'm sure the average person thinks its a waste of time to call the State, too, if they even notice the number on the wall. Certainly none of the staff has ever said to patients if there is a problem, they can call the state. So, the number is just on the wall, because it is a requirement, but patients don't really have any faith in the state coming to do something and are afraid for their anonymity should the State say to the unit that a man called or a lady called

and the unit figure out who called.<
><
>When I saw this notice on the patients bulletin board, in the first place, I might of walked right by it and never seen it. Secondly, eventhough I did see it, I wasn't sure the notice was written for patients. It didnt clearly say if you were a patient and wanted to inform the state of a problem in your unit to call. It was vague and I had to read it twice to make sure it was speaking to patients. It was completely gone off the board by the very next tx! So that's why I said I was shocked to realize what this notice was about. It was so vague the average patient would of passed it right up. I saw no one speaking to patients in the unit either.  

Lin

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: ?  

I can't say if it's a waste of time or not, as I've not used it. It's not just a notice on the bulletin board, it's a huge placard screwed into the wall in the waiting area. <
>The state of NJ nitpicks on things at the unit on an almost constant basis. I know this doesn't always happen in other states, or even in other areas of NJ. Perhaps it is because of all those who have called, commplained and even threatened media attention. I know of units that in the past were quite a mess, but after several complaints were closed down and cleaned up. Dyfs in NJ has recently taken a huge shakeup because word of inadequacies leaked to the press. Such things aren't always a fix, but it's a place to start. If the state doesn't help then at least you can say you called them, and weren't helped. <
>Have you ever written a letter to politicians about the inadequacies? Lin.  

new patient

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: unit violations  

I am new to dialysis. What are the types of things I should look for to make sure my unit is not cutting corners?  

New Patient too

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: I'd like to know too  

What do I need to look out for so I know my unit is run right?  

To new patient

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Cost cutting  

First thing I would look for is what is the patient to worker ratio. <
><
>How many RN's are on the floor at any given time<
><
>How long has the staff been there.<
><
>Is the atmosphere friendly are patients taken care of<
><
>You need to educate yourself and make sure to ask questions.<
><
>Become active in your care.<
><
>Dont do reuse.<
><
>This is just a few<
>  

Lin

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: New pt. hints  

1. Visit the unit and look around to see how clean it is. 2. Are the staff neat and clean? Do they wear gloves, wash hands, wear aprons, ect..? Do they change these things between each pt.?<
>3. Are things organized properly and clean. Are the refuse containers located away from the pts., especially hazardous waste? Are the treatment carts organized and clean, and located near but not in the pt. tx. area? Are the chairs clean? no blood stains. You should smell bleach, as it's the disenfecting agent used, that is if things are properly cleaned and disenfected! Lin.  

KC sick of it

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: new patient  

New patient,<
><
>All of the above are very good hints but the one major thing I look at is how do the patients look. First, is their skin tone gray , are they all sleeping , is the environment oppressive and depressing . I know it is not a fun factory but you can tell by the workers attitude from the very beginning how the place is run.<
><
>If you don't like it, pick a new one. You have the right to move clinic's and change doctors. It took me several move's to find the right place and it was a total non reuse clinic family owned. Look in your yellow pages and start shopping just like you would do for anything you pay for. Why not treat your self to the best health care your area can provide. If you are not up to it by your self get a friend or family member to help.<
><
> THIS IS ABOUT MONEY . So let your dollars speak for you ... shop around for the best dialysis clinics. Your quality of life will greatly improve. DEMAND NON-REUSE IT IS YOUR RIGHT ! ! ! ! ! ! AND YOUR HEALTH  

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy