Author Topic: Stem Cell Research  (Read 1879 times)

admin

Stem Cell Research
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
LuLuW

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Stem Cell Research   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to get a discussion going on this topic. Pros, cons, what are your feelings? I don't know a whole lot about it, but it's my understanding that it is very possible and highly likely that stem cell research could lead to the creation (I know, scary word) of not only new kidneys for transplantation, but also all the other major organs and tissues. Of course this
ings up the ethical and moral dilemma of "are we playing God?" My opinion is that God gives mankind the capacity for creating technological and medical advances and the ability to choose to use those advances for the good or evil of mankind. In my mind, if used for the good of mankind, stem cell research does not go against God's word in any way. <
><
>We all know where Bush and his administration stands on this issue. While they are in power, it ain't gonna happen.<
><
>Any thoughts? 

Lin

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Don't understand   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find that a lot of people don't understand the research. When I ask what their feelings are they respond "I don't like it because it's abortion". Far too many don't realize that stem cells can be harvested without an abortion. I really wish people would have an open mind! It won't compromise anyone's religious or moral beliefs. The public needs a lot of education on this issue! Lin. 

jfwag

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Agree...   

with you both. We are not playing God. God (I am an athiest but for the sake of discussion) gave us these tools. Lin yu are right, "I don't like it because it's abortion" Give me a
eak!!!<
>More education is needed and if I am correct wasn't the amount of money the Bush admistration was willing too spend on research about a measly 2 million. Might wrong on that but it wasn't much.<
>I remember Lois being furious over this subject. 

LuLuW

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: rhetoric   

Lin, you're right. Again, this goes hand in hand with what I said on the other thread. The conservative right has been awesome at its ability to put a negative spin on certain issues to obscure the true objectives. Stem cell research has nothing to do with abortion, per se. Yes, some of the research involves tissue from aborted fetuses, but most does not. But the bottom line is, the research in and of itself would not impact the number of abortions that occur either way. It's ridiculous to tie the two together. 

Lin

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: My understanding   

is that the placenta from a live delivery can be used! If it were done when I had my children I would've donated it in a heartbeat! I think complacency is at work; I know too that I donated blood for years before esrd and you wouldn't believe the lame excuses I heard people use NOT to donate. I'm sure if it were they or their loved ones who were in need they would sing a different tune.<
>The problem is that the people who need this don't have lobbying power or money, and so aren't heard in DC. Lin. 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Why not?   

There will always be abortions-- why not use some stem cells from those aborted fetuses so that some good can come out of something regrettable?<
><
>Eventually, kidney failure will become so prevalent that people who currently are against stem cell research will be forced to change their minds, because ESRD will be impacting them personally. 

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: wrongs   

don't make a right. You won't be able to stand before God and say, "Well the babies were aborted already". 

LuLuW

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....   

I definitely need to expand my knowledge on stem cell research because I just learned today, via the NIH website, that currently stem cells are not derived from aborted fetuses at all. In fact, they are gathered from em
yonic sources, which are cultivated in vitro from eggs that have been donated, and from adult sources, who again donate the necessary tissues for cultivation. <
><
>2 Wrongs, and others, please check out this link, I'm sure you will be enlightened as I was.<
>NIH Stem Cell Primer<
><
>Now, there is some discussion of utilizing the tissues from aborted fetuses, but this practice has not been adopted. So, 2 Wrongs, it's not about abortion at all, and really has nothing to do with it. Wonder what the opposition will come up with when this word gets out? Now that will be interesting to see. 

Marty

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Stem Cell Research   

I don't know alot about this topic but I do know that Christopher Reeves has been lobbying for this for a very long time. Don't quote me on this but I think the em
o's used have not been fertilized. And I think there is also a way of using your own stem cells. The only other thing I know is the state of California is the only state so far, who has passed legislation so it's scientist can do more work on stem cell research than the current federal laws. I believe Christopher Reeves has suggested people go to other state government reps. and ask that they do the same. It may be worthwhile to check out his website although the illness is different the solutions both come from stem cell research and it may offer tips or more information to help one decide to support this and how to support this. 

LuLuW

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: good point, you're right   

They NIH site also states that the em
yos are not fertilized. That's a key point, I believe. 

The linc

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: goes to a very long article   

which I dont have the time to read. If anyone can find a more consise article presenting the pros and cons of the morality of stem cell research, I would appreciate it if you would post it. I will look for one, too. 

Lin

Posted: Mon Apr 28,

2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: I don't think   

God will mind if they use stem cells from placentas; after all, now they're routinely thrown in the trash! There are more than enough stem cells that can be harvested from placentas and other parts of body. I'm against abortion too, but gathering stem cells has nothing to do with it! People really should read up on it so that they are believing and spreading untruths. Lin. 

A placenta

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: is one thing   

aborted babies are another. 

LuLuW

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: that's very true   

And it is such a shame that stem cell research has erroneously been tied to the abortion issue. One has nothing to do with the other. The other argument that it somehow is an attempt by man to play God also holds no merit in my book. What makes it any different than other medical advances such as vaccines, artificial organs, and even transplants as we know it today? Technological, medical and scientific advances should be viewed as gifts from God, not the other way around. The tremendous good that could come out of it would be immeasurable. Just think , all the people with spinal cord injuries walking again, the 80,000+ people on the UNOS kidney list, not to mention the thousands on the liver, heart, lung, et al, would wait no longer! Boggles the mind. 

Lin

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Just read!   

I find that those people who do connect the two have read little or nothing about the issue; why even discuss it with them until they have!!! One can be pro life, and pro stem cell research. Lin. 

Connect

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: the two what?   

Can you be more clear? 

LuLuW

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: connect   

Conservatives and the current administration (Bush, et al), have connected stem cell research to the abortion issue, which has completely misled the public. The two have nothing to do with each other. Stem cells are gathered from unfertilized eggs in vitro. Maybe it will
ing comfort to the naysayers to know that tissue from aborted fetuses is not being used. It's still thrown away like trash. 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Thrown away like trash?   

To me, that's even more disgusting than if it WAS used for research! 

Lin

Posted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: I agree!   

It's simply donating instead of throwing away! Lin. 

are you

Posted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: talking about   

babies who have been puposely aborted? 

LuLuW

Posted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: FOR THE LAST TIME......   

Stem cell research is not conducted on aborted fetuses!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh! 

to

Posted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: LuLu   

You don't need to get huffy. It wasn't clear to me from the comments what the posters were saying. Seemed to be saying that they'd prefer that the "fetuses" be used for something rather than just tossed in the trash. 

LuLuW

Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Lighten up, it's called JOKING   

But jokes aside, here is the most comprehensive information I've found on the 'net concerning stem cell research. It's located on Christopher Reeves' website.<
>FAQ about Stem Cell Research<
><
>Please read. Very informative. 

not a joke

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: the moral question   

Focus on the Family Statement on Human Em
yo Stem Cell Research<
><
>Stem cell research is a new frontier in medical science. This type of research made headlines in late 1998 when scientists succeeded in isolating and culturing stem cells from human em
yos. Scientists have also derived stem cells from aborted fetuses and adults.<
> <
>Em
yonic stem cells are the earliest cells from which body organs are developed and have the ability to grow into the 210 types of tissue in the human body. Recent medical research indicates that em
yonic stem cells may hold tremendous promise for treating such conditions as heart disease, cancer and diabetes. However, scientists admit they have far to go before mastering the complicated and rapid process of stem cell growth and development.<
> <
>Focus on the Family opposes stem cell research using human em
yos. In order for scientists to isolate and culture em
yonic stem cells, a living, human em
yo must be killed. It is never morally or ethically justified to kill one human being in order to help benefit another. By requiring the destruction of em
yos, the tiniest human beings, em
yonic stem cell research violates the medical ethic of "Do No Harm." <
><
>Opposing the willful destruction of human em
yos for medical research does not mean that stem cell research cannot proceed. Focus on the Family encourages scientists to continue to explore stem cells found in adult tissues, bone marrow and umbilical cord blood. Initial research using these sources are considered to be very promising, even more promising in some instances than em
yonic stem cell sources. <
><
>Copyright ? 2000 Focus on the Family. All rights reserved.<
>International copyright secured. 

LuLuW

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Sorry, but the above is INCORRECT   

Again, this is a case where rhetoric, misinformation and scare tactics are used by right wing conservative interests to trick the uninformed public. Please read the FAQ link above for the correct information.<
><
>The stem cells used in therapeutic

research are gathered from donated eggs that have not been fertilized, therefore no life has been destroyed. What do you think happens to the em
yonic cells the fertility clinics have left over after successful implantation? I wonder if anyone realizes how many eggs these clinics extract from women just to get one that is suitable for fertilizing? And then, what happens to the rest? So, the fact is, life will be preserved through the process of therapeutic stem cell research because rather than be discarded, these cells would be used to sustain life for those suffering from a host of chronic illness and disease. <
><
>Bottom line, stem cell research is not a pro-life, pro-choice issue. It has nothing to do with it, so please, do not allow propaganda pushers such as the organization above to make it so.<
><
>Excerpt from an editorial by Richard J. Codey, New Jersey State Democratic Senate President on January 15, 2003:<
>Quote:There is no place for politics in matters of life and death. We have the opportunity to save lives and prevent suffering with this legislation while respecting the wishes of those persons who do not want their em
yos used for science. New Jersey has the opportunity to present itself as a leader in stem -cell research while protecting this emerging field from the limitations of the Bush administration's policy. We also have the opportunity to present New Jersey as a beacon of hope for millions of people worldwide. We should not stifle this science. We must not stifle this hope. <
><
><
><

Coil

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Even if it were...   

Just a question, even if aborted fetus's were used for research (emphasis on the magic word *if*), what is the problem with using them to potentially save lives? Wouldn't that be better than just getting pitched into a landfill?<
>I ask, as the logic behind not using them escapes me... 

Cactus crow

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: News   

www.stemcellresearchnews.com/ 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy