Author Topic: Thoughts about going to 2nd Pace meeting  (Read 1985 times)

admin

Thoughts about going to 2nd Pace meeting
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
aprnjam

Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Once again   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this demonstrates rationing of care to a population that has no where else to turn. In effect, once again the government is rationing care only this time it's not being done in a facility, it's being done in how the patient is able to provide transportation to the facility. If you can't get to the facility, then you can't get the care, and eventually you die, which then takes you off the roles of Social Security/Medicaid. Again, what about those who are barely making it on their fixed income and any increase in healthcare costs (medication, transportation costs, etc.) is just enough to push them over the edge, the edge of no return.<
><
>What is our country coming to today? Do we care so little for the people in our country who are ill that rather than help them, some powers-that-be decide that we'll just provide more and more limitations to their care and the problem will take care of itself. What happened to humanity and common decency in our society? What happened to helping your neighbor when they hit upon bad times? <
><
>Often family members can help, sometimes they can, or won't. In my case, my mother-in-law refused to help us during a case of illness when I was off work for 6 months with no income, my husband was laid off during that time, and we asked her for a loan, which she refused. The day I went back to work, I was told the clinic I worked in was being closed and I forced to take a job paying 15K less per year. Our option was bankruptcy. Just an example where even your own family members won't help. My question remains, what has happened to our society? <
><
>While the writer of this article is trying to help, how far will it actually get? Will the state even pay attention to the publicity or shove it under the rug hoping it will go away. My bet is shove it under the rug. Sorry everyone, soapbox again!! 

Yesterday

Posted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: We had a patient dumped off of Medi California   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This patient had no money,nor any heart medications. She was told yesterday that they dumped her on a technicality, and she would have to wait for 3 weeks to get reinstated. No meds or money.<
><
>This person called in tears and once again I wish to thank the National Action Network, for helping us advocate for her. She was reinstated yesterday with the medications in hand.Doesnt have to wait 3 weeks now.<
><
>This is what we are about, this is what makes it personally worth while for me. Aprnjam will be joining with the advocations and I am sure she will be sooooo effective.<
><
>We are getting more advocacy's weekly. They take less time as we now have it down to a science. Aprnjam, thanks for all you do....! It is appreciated, we are soo lucky to have you aboard.<
><
>Arlene 

aprnjam

Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Way to go Arlene!   

Great job Arlene, as usual! As you stated, this is what DEO is all about! It gives you such a great feeling when you accomplish something this great!<
><
>Since I will be helping advocate, I guess it's time that everyone knows my name. I'm Joyce Meador, and I'm a gerontological nurse practitioner. I am currently not working full time, but do some legal nurse consulting from time to time. Most of the time, I'm busy spoiling my wonderful grandchildren, ages 13, 11, and 7. I have taught nursing in a BSN program, and had a clinical practice for 7 years.<
><
>I don't know very much about dialysis, but I am learning quickly with Arlene's and Founding RN's help, plus doing a lot of research. I have advocated for senior care for 7 years, and made great strides in that area. Being faced with dialysis, then being blessed with it being postponed by obtaining a second opinion, has cleared the way for me to advocate for DEO with fear of repercussions from any of the centers. I promise that I will work hard to advocate for each of you if needed. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy