Author Topic: bicarbonate  (Read 2864 times)

admin

bicarbonate
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »
Home Girl

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: bicarbonate   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi patientswife!<
>I have the same problem and my neph says most patients show a decrease in CO2 as the kidneys functioning decreases. He put me on 3 sodium bicarbonate pills per day. My CO2 then rose to 30. So now I take 3 pills some days and 2 pills on others and my last labs I came out at 22. 

*********************************************************************************       

Home Girl

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: C02   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

patientwife,<
>Meant to add. Have you questioned the fact that your husband's dictor has let his CO2 drop below the norm for 6 months without taking action to correct it?!<
><
>Sorry typo above for doctor. I often hit the wrong key for some reason when I type that word. But it's an accurate title for most of them! <

*********************************************************************************       

patientwife

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: bicarbonate   

<
> Thanks much. I will
ing up with physician/DON. <
> <
> I certainly have questioned it! In 5/13/03 written communication to unit DON, there was question:<
>"LAB REPORT OF 4/22/03 - Report showed declining bicarbonate and sodium levels? Has anything been done at dialysis to address lab values? What can xxx do to address the levels?" On 5/16/03 I spoke with DON. To this topic, her response was that she would
ing to attention of physician. Never heard anymore.<
><
>Physician is ultimately responsible, of course. But there are other players (on the team) who have faltered in their responsibilities -- nurses and nutritionist (and, the social worker if low values were caused by some behavior on xxx's part).<
><
>It is no wonder that patients/families are of opinions that there is poor medical care in these units, and that patients are merely "processed" on an assembly line with no real concern for, assessment of, nor treatment/referral for medical conditions needing attention. It perturbs me that LICENSED medical professionals are so callous about their sick patients. Their abilities to perform under LICENSES are of <
>question!!!<
><
>How do they all, the physician, the DON and the nutritionist, allow such to happen for 6 months?<
><
><
> <
> <
> <

ridgerunner

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: CO2   

have they tried adaquate treatment. sorry that costs money. 

patientwife

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: CO2   

Am I missing something?<
><
>My husband said that, at dialysis today, he asked the DON what was causing his bicarbonate level to drop and what could be done to
ing it up. Her reply, "I don't know." 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy