Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Main Forum / Another reuse study
« Last post by cschwab on February 07, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
Single-Use versus Reusable Dialyzers: The Known Unknowns

Ashish Upadhyay,
    Marie Anne Sosa,
    Bertrand L. Jaber

+ Author Affiliations

Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, and Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts

Address correspondence to:
    Dr. Bertrand L. Jaber, Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, 736 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02135. Phone: 617-562-7832; Fax: 617-562-7797; E-mail: bertrand.jaber@caritaschristi.org

Abstract

The practice of reusing dialyzers has been widespread in the United States for decades, with single use showing signs of resurgence in recent years. Reprocessing of dialyzers has traditionally been acknowledged to improve blood
Main Forum / Kidney dialysis in Australia
« Last post by cschwab on January 30, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
I was curious about kidney dialysis in Australia, so I've been asking an expert I respect: Australian nephrologist Dr. John Agar.

Time on dialysis:
The mean dialysis treatment time for facility-based care in Australia is a tad over 4.5 hrs (4 hrs 35 minutes) with centre-based dialysis ranging from 3.5 hrs (a very few), to 4 hrs (a lessening number), to 4.5 hrs (the majority), and to 5 hrs (an increasingly common duration) x 3 treatments a week (still) ... though there are many who would like to toss the 'killer weekend' break.
http://forums.homedialysis.org/threads/3480-18-hours-a-week-of-dialysis-in-Australia

Last I heard we were averaging 3.5 hours on dialysis per treatment

Patient/Staff ratios
As for staffing levels, the national ratio
Main Forum / Re: Insurance denies IVIG Treatment for transplants!
« Last post by cschwab on January 30, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
No, I haven't heard anymore about this.  But I posted it for them as promised.
Main Forum / Re: Insurance denies IVIG Treatment for transplants!
« Last post by angieskidney on January 06, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Has there been any response on this?
Main Forum / Insurance denies IVIG Treatment for transplants!
« Last post by cschwab on December 14, 2012, 05:22:53 AM »
Necessary Expansion of IVIG Treatment under Medicare

This firm represents the transplant surgeons at the Indiana University Hospital and the surgeons desire that a particular Medicare contractor expand its coverage of intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) treatment.

Wisconsin Physicians Service Insurance Corporation (WPS) is a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for Jurisdiction 5 and Jurisdiction 8 (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan), as well as a Legacy Medicare Part B contractor for Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota.  According to its website, WPS
Main Forum / Re: Advocacy gone Right!
« Last post by angieskidney on December 03, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
That is GREAT news!
Main Forum / Re: Need Help? Call Dialysis Advocates' 800 number
« Last post by angieskidney on December 03, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
I'm not sure yet what the future holds yet.  I might leave this site up but close registration - we will see.

Yeah take it one day at a time ;)
Main Forum / Advocacy gone Right!
« Last post by cschwab on December 01, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
MEETING WITH MICHIGAN DAVITA HAS POSITIVE RESULTS

November 16, 2012, by arlene

We met with the Clarkston, MI Davita clinic to discuss concerns raised by a patient. We were a little amused to be greeted by an armed guard.

The patient felt concerns with his treatment were not being listened to and that he was being retaliated against by voicing those concerns about care issues. In the beginning the meeting was tense, but the outcome was what the patient wanted. He had a chance to voice his dialysis care and how he felt retaliated for expressing any concerns.

The Davita Corporate Regional manager in attendance, I found was actively listening and took notes.  I found her easy to talk with, was open minded, and not feeling attacked. I think she also now is more aware of how patients feel about their dialysis experience at Davita clinics.

The Medical director was also present, open to suggestions, listened to the patient
Main Forum / davita and CNN
« Last post by cschwab on December 01, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »
 :R They just don't seem to learn, so somebody enlighten me, why does thiry still have a job?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/11/29/ac-griffin-medicare-fraud-investigation.cnn
Main Forum / Re: UNOS execs overpaid for kidney shortage, etc...
« Last post by cschwab on October 13, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
(Part of Robert Hickey's story appeared in the Denver magazine 5280 back in Oct. 2008)

The Crusader

In the United States, 18 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10