Author Topic: In-hospital dialysis  (Read 1416 times)

admin

In-hospital dialysis
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
RedheadedReptile

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: In-hospital dialysis   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I've had dialysis in-hospital, they've never done a pre- and post-weight. How do they know how much fluid to take off-- or doesn't it matter to them? I always come home with extra fluid on. This is on my mind because I'm going to be having gallbladder surgery soon and want to avoid going home with fluid overload. 

SHIRTS

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: HOSPITAL DIALYSIS   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I RECENTLY HAD SURGERY AND EXPERIENCED THE SAME DIALYSIS AS YOU RECALLED. <
>THEY NEVER WEIGH YOU PRE AND POST.<
>I DID COME HOME WITH EXTRA FLUID ON. <
>GOOD LUCK.<
>STAY WELL. 

patient

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: hospital   

When I had to have surgery and didn't know as much about setting a goal as I do now, I was very concerned they would take too much fluid off and cramp me. But I had no problems at all that way. A pre assessment was done each tx by the doctor which I couldn't believe as that never happens in in-center dialysis. I don't know how they guesstimated the goal, because they didn't weigh me either, but they kept me above my dw according to my bps which were higher than usual for ending bps, which is maybe how they did it. They were much more skilled in this hospital acute then in my regular unit. They used no heparin due to surgery and flushed the dialyzer throughout the tx. It may be that through UF they could tell approximately how much fluid I had on and how much to get off. <
><
>It seems to me in my regular unit the reason patients don't cramp more than they do is because they keep them well over their dw. Maybe thats what they do in the hospital too. They know what the doctor has set for their dw, so they just stay way above it. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy