General Discussion > Legislation

Bill HR1458 and S565

(1/4) > >>

cschwab:
Bill for Transplant drug coverage

HR1458 and S565 are in both still in committee and could use your support (have been in committee since last April and March)! Tell your federal representatives how they could save $30,000 to $60,000 a year for every person they can keep off of dialysis. These bills would continue coverage for transplant drugs instead of stopping payments at 3 years. No more worrying about losing a job and insurance, or not getting a transplant in the first place because a person doesn't know how they will cover the price of the meds.

find_status_of_bill

more_info

Write_Reps_Senators

angieskidney:

--- Quote from: cschwab on January 27, 2010, 04:06:51 PM ---Bill for Transplant drug coverage

HR1458 and S565 are in both still in committee and could use your support (have been in committee since last April and March)! Tell your federal representatives how they could save $30,000 to $60,000 a year for every person they can keep off of dialysis. These bills would continue coverage for transplant drugs instead of stopping payments at 3 years. No more worrying about losing a job and insurance, or not getting a transplant in the first place because a person doesn't know how they will cover the price of the meds.

find_status_of_bill

more_info

Write_Reps_Senators

--- End quote ---

There definitely needs to be a way to cover transplant meds for more than 3 years!  :pray:

Hope you don't mind I shared this here: http://kidneykorner.com/smfbb/index.php?topic=2979.0

cschwab:
I'm a generous sort of fellow, share away!

cschwab:
I've heard it mentioned capping transplant coverage at 3 years is an incentive to get a job with insurance.  I have a hard time seeing why a person already dealing with kidney disease needs to be given more incentive than any other person to work!  Even if a person with this sort of pre-existing condition did manage to find a job (even tougher in today's economy), there is no guarantee they would manage to hang onto that job.  Layoffs are already bad enough, why add the pressure of having to pay for meds on top of it!  All this 3 year transplant coverage nonsense is doing is adding a disincentive not to get a transplant!

angieskidney:

--- Quote from: cschwab on February 03, 2010, 12:55:59 PM ---I've heard it mentioned capping transplant coverage at 3 years is an incentive to get a job with insurance.  I have a hard time seeing why a person already dealing with kidney disease needs to be given more incentive than any other person to work!  Even if a person with this sort of pre-existing condition did manage to find a job (even tougher in today's economy), there is no guarantee they would manage to hang onto that job.  Layoffs are already bad enough, why add the pressure of having to pay for meds on top of it!  All this 3 year transplant coverage nonsense is doing is adding a disincentive not to get a transplant!

--- End quote ---

THAT is the reason? What a load of ... well I won't say what but you can fill in the blanks. It is hard when employers discriminate that some times post transplant it is hard to find a job right away. Transplant recipients don't need an incentive to get a job! Most WANT to finally get back into the daily routine of a normal life again and save for the future and working a job is all part of that!  :-\

Heck I have even HEARD people SAY they would NOT get a transplant (various people across the USA have said this on a few kidney forums) because they were worried how they would ever PAY for their health care! It is a sad state of things when people are afraid to get a transplant because they feel like they will be set up only to lose it again due to not being able to afford their meds that help them KEEP that Gift of Life!!!!  (You need a thumbs down emoticon now Chris).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version