Author Topic: WE HAVE FOUND A NEW PLACE!  (Read 2339 times)

admin

WE HAVE FOUND A NEW PLACE!
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »
Patient and wife

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: WE HAVE FOUND A NEW PLACE!   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement through this recent ordeal. FMC has come through.We received a call from the regional administrator,who had been in touch with Renal Associates here in Baton Rouge. They welcomed me the patient back.<
> <
>We patients,family members,workers and friends need to be vigilant in our efforts to assure that there is quality care in dialysis centers throughout this country,and that the patient,infact,comes first.<
>Hooray for Dialysis Ethics.Thank you to Fresenius for coming forth and saving my life. 

leadsag

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Great   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great ...glad to hear that it has been resolved. 

brenda

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Good News   

Glad to hear that. Just wish you wouldn't of had to go thru it in the first place. No one should have to face this type of problem----- 

Lin

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Pt and wife!   

Hooray! I'm so glad the problem was resolved.<
>The unit social worker came over to speak to me recently and asked how I was doing. I suspect she heard I was unhappy, and staff sent her over to me.<
>She said that last time she has spoken to me she got the impression I was dealing with dialysis well. I told her I was dealing just fine with my condition and dialysis, but that what I was having a hard time dealing with was all the other stuff, and then I elaborated for her! I told her basically that dialysis and having a life threatening illness was hard enough, but having to argue with staff about tx. and worry about being dumped were added stresses, that had nothing whatsoever to do with how <
>I was handling dialysis. I told her that changes must be made because neither she nor staff realizes how much extra stress is heaped on us! The stress a pt. and family feels often is from uneccessary forces, and things such as the fear of being dumped from something even as a minor disagreement. Lin. 

Home Girl

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Right On   

Patient and wife! Your ole buddy is cheering it up big for ya. Way to stick in there and duke it out!! I'm sure dialysisethics can't go into the details of cases they advocate for, but I am one who was privy to your situation and know this was strictly a case of Unit-tics, with you, as patient and wife, demanding accountability (Unit-tics = less than good care on the part of the unit causing the patient a royal runaround, mental and physical anguish etc., which in this case, culminated in booting the patient out for contrived non-compliance (dumping) rather than take responsibility for the staff's own failure to provide quality care). <
><
>As this story got around to other boards on the net, there were those patients who commented that this probably was a case of an acting out patient. I'm glad the point was made that even if it was, he still would not of deserved a death sentence. There are Medicare standards in place that state a patient must be given 30 days notice and safely rerouted to another unit. We don't treat dogs as badly as we treat dialysis patients. And since this was not a case of an acting out patient, I hope all those naysayers will realize that they could be next to be dumped if only for looking in the wrong direction.<
><
>Lin said it right as have others before her - its not the dialysis that is hard so much as its the lack of professionalism that pervades the units, putting undue stress on patients. Can you imagine for a minute what it would be like if for once the units became introspective and endeavored to shine a light on what they are doing wrong and went full force to make corrections? There would be no need for dialysisethcics.org. <
><
>I am in a unit that talks about change (through their newsletter etc.) through giving excellant service on their part. Sadly, its just talk at this point. There would be no change barring the efforts of
ave patients who have stood up to their unit staffs for quality care and patients rights, supported by dialysisethics. As more cases are won the message goes forth. The few fight for the majority. But more are joining the ranks of the few. 

Lets do dialysis

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: 20% under   

The updated Dialysis Compare just came out and LoUiSiAna and Florida tied with the most units ( scoring 20% UNDER the majority. Hope our patient isn't in one of the low scorers in Baton Rouge. I believe a couple were FMC. 

Another string

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: brought up past history.   

Another string. It appeared that the NETWORK wanted he patient to sign that they had found a new place and the patient refused.

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy