Author Topic: What kind of educational seminars do we want?  (Read 3306 times)

admin

What kind of educational seminars do we want?
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
ptsw

Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: What kind of educational seminars do we want?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was curious, if money wasn't an option what kind of topics would you want to hear in a meeting? I was thinking maybe a panel of transplant patients. 

We would like

Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: to be educated on   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY our staff isn't educated enough and what we can do about it 

ptsw

Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: would would be the main speaker?   

"We Would Like", that's actually a great topic, who could speak on it?? 

how about

Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: some educated patients   

There are educated patients these days who were forced to become educated because their staffs were not. 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Seminar topic   

How about how to get patients interested in their treatments?<
><
>The biggest problem a lot of noncompliant patients have with their treatments is they don't understand WHY things have to be done-- why they can't drink or eat what they want, or why they need a longer treatment time. I've found that most of the noncompliant patients got that way because their questions were ignored, so they became apathetic and disinterested in following doctors' orders. I want to know how to
eak through the "I don't care" barrier and get these people to become part of the treatment team, and stop being passive patients who have things done TO them. 

leadsag

Posted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: treatment team   

I think the concept of you being part of a treatment team has passed. You arrive, follow the rules. Your input into the treatment is telling them your weight. Other than that, they don't care what you have to say. 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: If you can figure out your own goal   

... you're part of the team.<
><
>I figure out my own goal and know how much I can safely remove per treatment-- if I've gained a lot of fluid, I tell the charge nurse that I want to go for a half-kilo less than my dry weight so that I don't cramp, and she oks it. I've never had to fight anyone about it... but that's because I made the effort to learn how to calculate my goal. Most of the patients in my unit don't even want to take that step... but they still want to complain when they crash and cramp. As patients we have rights, but we also have responsibilities-- learning to figure out your own goal is a simple enough thing, but the patients in my unit don't even want to learn how to do that. It's frustrating to see them crash and cramp, but they don't want to help themselves... there's nothing I can do about that. I don't think any of the nurses in my unit would feel threatened by a knowledgeable patient... it makes their job easier when patients understand their treatments. Our nurses don't feel the need to get into power struggles with patients... I know in some units that happens, but we don't have that problem. 

Patient 3

Posted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: If you really want to know   

Ask dialysis ethics what they see. No one really wants an objective view.<
>My wish list. 

Wish list

Posted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Wishs   

More education.<
>More fairness. <
>Someone other than indistry to hear complaints. <
>Choices.<
>Rehabilitation.<
>To be free of retalition. To not be afraid.<
>To have the truth.<
>Patient rights honored<
>These are just a few. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy