Author Topic: Why two weeks??? (part a)  (Read 4065 times)

admin

Why two weeks??? (part a)
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
Cactus crow

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Why two weeks???   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told today that if I wanted to see my dialysis medical records it would take two weeks. Why is this and why so long? Do they make a second set or do they "cook the books" so to speak in this time period? 

Records

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Are to be left on the site.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By ESRD Law these records are to remain on the dialysis premises, only to be removed to be micro fisched. So the dialysis records are in the clinic.<
><
>You can ask them why it takes two weeks,as they by law are to be at the unit. You can request anything in your records to be changed it it isnt true. <
><
>If you need help, just ask<
><

Disgusted

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Your medical records   

These are your records that your Medicare dollars and insurance dollars pay for. When I signed the new HIPPA statement from major corporate provider, (many pages) I noticed that if I wished to view medical records that a written statement needed to go through privacy officer out of state. But when I asked to view medical records verbally the DON was more than willing to show me if I come with her to her office and view. I suppose it is who you ask. If you have to write a privacy officer and the request is going to a privacy office in Cambodia, ask for a fax number and name it may be quicker than two weeks. Arlene, told me on the phone recently that we can dispute and change the records if there is a discrep. Lots O luck and happy viewing! (oh, this is not E-bay). 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Charts are on our machines   

In my unit, patient charts are usually on top of each machine... I can reach up during my treatment and grab my chart and look at it any time I want. I'm the only patient so far who has done this... either the other patients don't know that they can, or they aren't interested.<
><
>I have found mistakes in my chart over the years... everyone should view their records periodically to make sure the information is correct. I noticed that I had been listed as having had a cadaver transplant-- my mother would have been surprised to see that, since it had been HER kidney! But seriously, being listed as having rejected a cadaver kidney might have affected my placement on the re-transplantation list if the mistake hadn't been corrected. 

I have

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: read   

the new privacy standards. Complicated legaleze. Need a lawyer to interpret it. Lots of loopholes for the companies. As long as I can get at my chart located on top of my machine that is the most important thing. Question? Do they keep notes on patients anywhere else besides the chart? <
><
>A tip. The doctor, dietitian, SW will ask you how you are and you think they are just being cordial so you say, "fine". The they document you feel fine. A better answer would be, fair, or as good as possible under the circumstances. They always try to document as if you are doing fantastic. 

aprnjam

Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: read   

In answer to your question, yes, there is another chart on you. You have the paper chart that is kept in the unit, then the electronic chart that the nephro dictates the "real" progress notes. The chart at the unit is usually a "tickler" chart as a reminder for what the physician did that day. They usually dictate at the end of the day and those notes go into your electronic chart, or chart that the physician keeps in his/her office.<
><
>Yes, there is a lot of legalese, but you have a right to get a copy of your chart. The reason that it can take 2-3 weeks to get a copy of your chart can be for various reasons. Since HIPPA went into effect a lot of patients are requesting copies of their chart, causing a backlog. If your records are a paper chart, and it is a large chart, depending on what you ask for, it can take a person up to an hour to copy the chart. If it's an electronic chart, the request is sent to the company who manages the system. They receive hundreds of requests per day. They print and send all of the information that is requested to you on a first come, first serve basis. You are then charged a per page cost for this service. Hope this helps some. I just requested my records and it took me 3 weeks to get them and the cost was $14.92 for 100 pages. 

Cactus crow

Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: They are charging you?   

No one has mentioned a fee yet. 

Before

Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: this new law   

I tried to get a copy of my records from the beginning of dialysis. They told me everything prior to 6 months is kept on microfish at their headqurrters in another state. So its difficult and costly to get records unless you get them out of your chart as soon as they are filed. 

aprnjam

Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: this new law   

A patient's records are never supposed to be kept on microfiche records until the patient dies. All of a patient's records are to be kept active until such time. If a patient is not seen by a physician within a 5 year period, then those files are allowed to be moved to an inactive status and can be filed placed on microfiche at that time for storage purposes. They are snowballing you. I've seen patients whose records have Volumes 1-4, with Volume I in the chart rack outside the door and my med tech telling me that the remaining Volumes are on my desk. You are not allowed, by law, to archive a patients records, no matter how large they are, until that patient dies. You probably have a very large file and they just do not want to take the time required to copy the files. My advice to you is to be persistent and not to let them snowball you. Tell them that you know that they are not allowed by law to put your records on microfiche until you have died and since you are talking to them, it's obvious you aren't dead. . Be "nasty/nice" as my mother used to say and ask them what the fee is for copying your record would be, and how long would it take to receive it, and what forms are necessary for you to sign. Tell them what day you will be by to sign the forms. Do not give them an option of saying no to you. Be persistent. If they take longer than 3-4 weeks to provide your records to you, then start calling every week to find out where they are. They are also required by the new HIPPA law to provide you with a pamphlet about HIPPA and it contains the address of who you can complain to locally. If you haven't received them within the four week period, then file your complaint with HIPPA. Document every conversation you have with your physician's office. You can tape any telephone conversation that you have on your telephone without telling the other person. This is completely

legal and is considered legal evidence in a court of law or in a complaint to HIPPA. This equipment can be bought at Radio Shack for less than $100.00. I would not recommend sending the original tape to HIPPA, as you may need it again, but make a copy to send to them along with your complaint. Be persistent, don't let them snowball you. They are using this excuse as a means to avoid providing your records to you. I don't know how old you are, or how long you have been seeing your physician, but years ago, many physicians used to document "Doing well" and what they prescribed and that was about it. Documentation has improved over the past 5-10 years, because of CMS regulations and contains more information. Nurse Practitioners's have also made a difference in the way documentation occurs as well, because NP's typically document more thoroughly than physicians. Just hang in there, be persistent and don't let them snowball you!!! 

Curious

Posted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: It is my understanding   

that the records are to be located at the dialysis center. They are not allowed to leave the facility. <
>I will try and find the ESRD Regulation that states that. Once clinic was sited....of course nothing ever is done. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy