Author Topic: Wise-assed words of encouragement  (Read 4103 times)

admin

Wise-assed words of encouragement
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
RedheadedReptile

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Wise-assed words of encouragement   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today at the end of my treatment, an older patient named Jo stopped to chat with me while I held my sites. It's coming up on her one-year anniversary on dialysis, and she asked me if it was worth it. I said, "That's one more year than you would have had." She said, "Well, I guess so," and went into the waiting room to wait for her van. I could see that she was feeling depressed, so when I got out there, I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Hey, you know, when you die you're going to Heaven-- 'cause you're in Hell right now!" She laughed-- so did the van driver who was waiting for another patient.<
><
>No matter how good your unit is, no matter how good the nurses are, this is still a hellish way to live. The only way I've been able to cope with it is through humor-- and I'm glad I can make other patients laugh.<
><
>(By the way, even with all of the bad sticks, infiltrations, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, I still think it's 'worth it'. All of the bad events give me experience so I can help other people through it.) 

DJ

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Humor me   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RR-<
>It's good to see someone who can keep their sense of humor. Some days at work I feel like the old saying, "if you don't laugh you'll cry". I'm lucky to work (for the most part) with a great bunch of people and patients that laugh with me. I think that type of atmosphere makes things easier to deal with... 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Joking with the nurses and techs   

I don't think I'd be doing as well as I am if it wasn't for the joking around at my unit-- I read about the uptight atmosphere in other units and I don't know how patients can keep going there week after week. Why make an already-stressful treatment even more of a pain? It's a lot easier to 'forgive' a nurse for hurting your arm if you have a good relationship with her. <
><

Lin

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Humor works!   

Sometimes people tell me that I don't take dialysis serious enough; are they kidding lol Just because we sometimes make jokes about things it doesn't mean this isn't very serious business. I can be serious when it counts (like helping to get changes made for better dialysis) and then turn around and joke about things that are (in my mind!) unimportant. It's part of my coping mechanism. I was like that before, and am like that now; it is one of the few things I won't allow dialysis affect! Of course my neph. thinks I'm crazy when I walk into his office and ask him "so, how are YOU doing?" lol <
>Red, if you and I were in the same unit I suspect we would totally re write the rules! Hey, that's a thought lol, totally rewrite the rules. Lin. <

leadsag

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: MAD Tv   

Saw a funny skit on Saturday that reminded me of my Nephrologist.....<
><
>Meeting of dialysis patients. <
><
>Hello Doc, I am patient 3300. This is patient 3325 and 3327. Do you remember us?<
><
>Doc - "oh yes, I remember you, you are my new Porsche and you are my Lake home."<
><

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Porsche and Lake Home   

See, that's why I don't believe there's a big conspiracy to kill patients-- we're worth a lot more to them alive! Dead patients don't pay for anything. 

Lin

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Sad but true!!!   

You guys make my day! There are often posts on both this and other boards calling us a bunch of malcontents; what a bunch of crap! We can laugh and joke, and then put our heads together for positive changes in dialysis (said Lin. sticking her tongue out at the "malcontents" complaining about us) lol I can find plenty good about dialysis, but that doesn't mean the bad things shouldn't be changed! 

DJ

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Humor me   

Hope you guys never lose your sense of humor! Some people (ie-staff_ think you can't do your job & laugh at the same time, but I think it helps me do my job better! I mean, how many patients REALLY want to see a dietitian who's a sourpuss? It's got to be hard to hear the "same old, same old" every month!<
>Sorry i haven't beem on line as much lately- I've missed DEO, and appreciate all of you! 

Lin

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Laughs   

At the unit I go to if staff lingers too long, or looks like they and a pt. are having too much fun talking the staff member is told to "move on" or given a talking to by the DON or the floor nurse. I'm one of the few pts. who stays awake and so a few staff come over and chat, but I don't encourage it because I don't want anyone to get in trouble. <
>They sometimes get told about it, but it's ok if other staff congregate around the nurse's station (not able to see pts.) and also get personal phone calls, again can't see the tx. floor and pts.. The dietician is one of the few people who is allowed to really talk to the pts. so that we don't feel like a peice of wood. The dietician I have is super; too bad she can't also run my tx..<
>You keep up the good work and know that you are appreciated not just for being a dietician, but because you care enough to help make things better! Missed ya! Lin. 

leadsag

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: nurses station   

I agree with Lin, the workers seem disturbed if your machine alarms and they have to leave the nurses station where everyone is congregated and talking. 

DJ

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Thanx!   

Thanx, Lin!<
>It's amazing what a difference a little humor can make! 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy