Author Topic: Dr. W. Kenneth Bays  (Read 19258 times)

admin

Dr. W. Kenneth Bays
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:25 PM »
realdialysisethics

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Dr. W. Kenneth Bays   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the saddest moments that I knew would be coming. It doesn't make it easier.<
><
>I will be leaving for Georgia. Dr. Bays is on hospice and will not be living for much longer.Hopefully I will be in time to say goodbye and to thank him for all the support and mentoring he has provided me. <
><
>Dr. Bays was one of the key players in this organization. In fact he was a major player. He was the first Senate hearing witness and has fought right next to me for the past 5 1/2 years. He was never in front of me, never behind me,always beside me. He chaired the DEO committee that went back to CMS this past August.<
><
>He would pick me up, dust me off and put me back on the path. He also tried his hardest to teach me not to wrestling with the pigs in the mud. His favorite statement. Somehow it took me years to learn that piece of wisdom.Still at times I would need to be reminded. He realized that we now are on a higher plane.<
><
>He fought for all patients and staff alike. It was a fight that he felt was moral. He didn't have to worry about bad treatment, he did nocturnal, he had the best doctor in the world! But he fought for those who weren't as lucky. He fought for everyone else to have choices and options and to be treated with dignity. He also realized the patients responsibility in their treatment and the right to speak out.<
><
>I will always honor him in this journey and realize that like many of our others who have fought for rights,he didn't see all the changes that will be coming down, but had faith that we could win this. He educated patients with his knowledge. Making them realize they could have options if they wanted and it was not a scary thing.<
><
>I will be doing part of the Eulogy. This is probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. He was my friend, my mentor and my role-model in INTEGRITY! He was the voice of reason and safety when I was lost. Dr. Bays I will miss your daily calls and the ability to trust your wisdom. He was my buddy. As an organization we will continue to finish the fight. <
><
>You should be greeted in the right corner of Heaven with others who were here fighting.They will be there for you! You are whole and loved. YOu are my best friend. I know that all patients will have it better because you were here. You made your life count for others. Your life counted!<
>Love ya and I will miss you!<
> Arlene Edited by: realdialysisethics at: 2/4/04 7:48 am<
>

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: Dr. W. Kenneth Bays
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
Founding RN

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Amen   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arlene has said it all. Thank you Dr. Bays for your help in educating us about Slow Nocturnal Dialysis and the encouragement you gave us all. You will never be forgotten by those of us at DEO. You were an important part of what made us so effective.<
><
>Thank you!<
><
>Sincerely,<
><
>Founding RN 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
plugger

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Dr. Bays   

I had some great conversations with Dr. Bays! He was like the wise Uncle you could always count on. He was a role model for what a person should be. His courage, knowledge, and common sense are going to leave a big gap. I hope he has taught us enough to keep going and see through all the bull.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
OnlineKidneyPatient

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Thank You!   

Thanks Dr. Bays! It's a miracle that what's happening here at DEO........<
><
>We will always remember you...... 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
brenda

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Dr.Bays   

our journey will continue with your memory, strength and words of wisdom right next to us. You gave so much of yourself for all those here, and never asked for anything in return. YOu will be missed dearly, but never far from our side to the end 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
Perfect

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Says it all!   

for encouragement<
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<
> <
>One hand<
>Reaches out<
>And pulls a lost soul from harm<
>While a thousand more go unspoken for<
>They say what good have you done<
>By saving just this one<
>It's like whispering a prayer<
>In the fury of a storm<
><
>And I hear them saying you'll never change things<
>And no matter what you do it's still the same thing<
>But it's not the world that I am changing<
>I do this so this world will know<
>That it will not change me<
><
>This heart<
>Still believes<
>The love and mercy still exist<
>While all the hatred rage and so many say<
>That love is all but pointless in madness such as this<
>It's like trying to stop a fire<
>With the moisture from a kiss<
><
>And I hear them saying you'll never change things<
>I do this so this world will know<
>That it will not change me<
><
>As long as one heart still holds on<
>Then hope is never really gone<
><
>I hear them saying you'll never change things<
>I do this so this world we know<
>Never changes me<
><
>What I do is so<
>This world will know<
>That it will not change me!<
><
>author: unknown<

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
FYI

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Update   

I received a call this morning at 2:00 am and Dr. Bays has passed on. <
><
>I will be flying out tomorrow morning. Our prayers go to his family. Words cannot express how important his efforts were. I am proud to of called him my friend.<
>Arlene 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
Founding RN

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Farewell to a Warrior   

There isn't anything that I or anyone else can say to erase or ease the pain Dr. Bay's family is experiencing now. Jamie, though we have never met, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this painful time. God Bless you and your family and give you comfort and peace.<
><
>We can take comfort in that right now he is at rest, no more pain and suffering. No longer does he have to struggle against all odds. He fought the good fight and did live to see some of the fruits of that labor. It's up to the rest of us to carry on and finish what he helped to start.<
><
>Rest in peace my friend.<
><
>Founding RN 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »
brenda

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Dr. Bays   

We came in peace<
> for all mankind...<
>Some nights, when the sky is just right,<
> and your soul knows no bounds...<
>You can touch where so few have been.<
>In doing so, you realize how far man has to go.<
>Our journey has just begun...<
><
>Brent L. Smith<
><
><
><
><
>I am sure Dr. Bays, Brent,Lois,Frank, along with the others, are together now watching from above, giving us even more encouragement then ever before.........My sympathy to Dr. Bay's family 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
Marty

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: A Hero   

Dr. Bays was my mentor on slow nocturnal. He would call me on his own nickle to encourage me on. I really feel devastated that we have lost such a warrior in encouraging patients to do home hemo and push for slow nocturnal and the programs to do it. I have been missing him and his posts and wondered if something was going on. Thanks for letting us know. My prayers are with him and his family. 

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:57:02 PM »
plugger

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: remembering   

I find myself recalling what he taught me. He didn't have to extend himself and help others. He got what he needed and he could have stopped. But he didn't, he wanted to share what he found. I'll always admire him for that.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »
KCWhite

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Dr W. Kenneth Bays   

Jamie,<
>I am so glad that I got to spend time with you and Dr. Bays in Baltimore. I just adored you both. My heart is so filled with sadness for your loss that words simply cannot express it. The long discussions with Dr. Bays about dialysis and where to go from here, were so helpful and uplifting. His insight and
illiance presented in this kind loving man were so effective for our cause and shined completely throughout the presentation for CMS. What he and you have done for this organization is beyond counting and only completely measurable in heavens terms. You will be in my payers.<
><
>Thank you, Dr. Kenneth Bays the world is a much safer and better place because you were here. I am honored to have known you.<
><
>Karen C. White<
><
><

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »
Arlene
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Back from Georgia   

I arrived back home and still feel the loss. It was a nice service and his love of Dialysisethics.org was represented at the service.<
><
>I will miss the daily phone calls and us bantering back and forth. He is truly a pioneer in many things...he was also a pilot that was part of the "flying dentists". His accomplishments are many,as he has given to many silently and in a true gift form. The world is a better place and many dialysis patients will have it better because he unselfishly gave of himself. I am proud to call him friend. He was with me before dialysisethics was formed. We have fought together and many people did not know he was part of this group. It was nice to see that with pride he stated he was dialysisethics.org.<
><
>He has mentored me and realized that changes have happened and will continue. We need to be vigilant and not let up. We are in a great place, as is he.<
><
>How does one thank a person for all he has done? The Eulogy was tough, but I truly adored Dr. Bays.<
><
>Plugger, the flowers were in a prominent place in the house and meant so much to Jamie. <
><
>We will carry on and continue on the path to reform. He will be missed.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
plugger

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Another of our Founders   

I have a difficult time writing about Dr. Bays because words can't say enough about he meant to many of us. He was a friend, mentor, and the backbone of this organization. He came to us after being a patient advocate for renal network 6, an organization he felt wouldn't let him do enough.

He had discovered slow nocturnal dialysis, a treatment that saved his life and let him enjoy more time on this earth with his friends and family. I remember he had just about everybody in his family trained to help him with home dialysis except the dog, and he was working on the dog.

He was determined to share his experience with people he met and have his life-saving treatment available to anybody who wanted it. I don't see his dream there yet, but I do see it getting better. I believe he can rest easy knowing he was part of it.

Arundhati Roy