Author Topic: USA Today article: High costs, high death rates  (Read 6938 times)

admin

USA Today article: High costs, high death rates
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »
plugger

Posted: 29 Aug 2009 13:25    Post subject: USA Today article: High costs, high death rates     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dialysis treatment in USA: High costs, high death rates
By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY

Deb Lustman was late getting to work a few days every week, and often felt she wasn't thinking as clearly as she once did.

The reason: Lustman, 50, was spending four hours a day, three days a week, undergoing kidney dialysis at a dialysis center, where a machine filtered toxins and fluids from her blood. Normally, that's the job of the kidneys, but for reasons doctors have never figured out, hers had failed.

Nine months into her treatment, as soon as her doctor raised the possibility of home dialysis, Lustman decided to switch. So, in July 2008, after she and her husband learned the ins-and-outs from a nurse, she began dialyzing five evenings a week at her Magnolia, N.J., home, with her two Maltese, Sophie and Jake, often lounging next to her. Now Lustman, an optician, dialyzes on her own schedule, not the center's, and she's not late for work anymore. And, she says, "I'm healthier."

Thanks to more frequent dialysis, totaling 15 or 16 hours a week, "I feel not only physically better but
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: USA Today article: High costs, high death rates
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:36:19 PM »
tyefly

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 02:07    Post subject:     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thx for the article..... was pretty good for the most part.....

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
plugger

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 04:17    Post subject:     

You're welcome! Not exactly the kind of news you want to hear, but at least it is finally getting to the mainstream media.

It was a good article, but I was hoping it would get into one of the reasons I strongly feel things have gotten the way they are: these dialysis companies setup as for-profits. I've read over the years how the non-profits do a better job. I've also read stats how from '91 to '01 the number of dialyzors doubled, costs tripled, and deaths were up 123% to add insult to injury - this was the time these wall street for-profits were taking over. I've also read stories of experienced RNs run off and short treatments.

I feel we are on the cusp of things getting better, but there is going to have to be some acknowledging of the past before moving on. I ought to post some of those "classic" stats and articles.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
plugger

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 14:47    Post subject: Dr. Belding Scribner     

At DialysisEthics besides pointing out problems, we want to be more involved in the solutions! So at the end of this thread I will offer a solution!

But first let me emphasize the problem, I see it as fundamental. A for-profit, publicly-traded company makes it's money by keeping labor costs low and cranking out the product as fast as they can. In dialysis this can be at odds with the health of the dialyzor, as I stated above - RNs run off and replaced with basically anybody off the street and short treatments.

But let's have a little more proof there is a problem. Dr. Belding Scribner is highly acknowledged as making a landmark invention - the Scribner shunt - that allowed access to dialysis for millions of people. Besides being a great inventor, you might include "prophet" to his resume:

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
plugger

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 16:52    Post subject:     

Now that our emergency in Texas is under control, it is time to get back to the problems of for-profit medicine. In my nine years of staring through the gates of hell at our health care system, I've come upon a few things - the above and the following are just a couple of things that come to mind:

www.usrds.org Annual Data Report 2003 pg 172, population up 106%, deaths up 123% from

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
plugger

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 13:37    Post subject:     

And another one I've come across:

Profit motive linked to dialysis deaths<

> By LOIS BAKER <
> Contributing Editor<

> The profit motive that drives U.S. for-profit kidney dialysis centers<
> results in an average of 2,500 premature deaths annually, a study<
> published yesterday in the Journal of the American Medical<
> Association (JAMA) has found. <
><
> The study's results also were presented yesterday at a press<
> conference in Washington, D.C., sponsored by the non-profit Public<
> Citizen's Health Research Group.<
><
> The findings are based on a systematic review and meta-analysis of<
> eight observational studies involving data from for-profit or private<
> not-for-profit American dialysis facilities covering more than 500,000<
> patient-years. It was conducted by researchers at McMaster<
> University in Hamilton, Ont., and UB. <
><
> Results showed an 8 percent increase in death rates for dialysis<
> patients treated in for-profit facilities compared to private not-for-profit<
> care.<
><
> "The results are not difficult to explain," said P.J. Devereaux, research<
> fellow in the departments of Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology and<
> Biostatistics at McMaster University and lead author on the study.<
> "Private for-profit facilities have to generate profits to satisfy<
> shareholders and pay taxes. Typically, these two expenditures are in<
> the range of 10-15 percent of expenses.<
><
> "Not-for-profit facilities can spend this money on patient care. The<
> higher death rates result when for-profit companies cut corners to<
> make sure they produce the required profit margin."<
><
> Holger Schunemann, UB assistant professor of medicine and social<
> and preventive medicine, and principal U.S. author, said: "While an 8<
> percent increase in mortality may seem small, the observed increase in<
> mortality represents between 1,200 and 4,000 additional deaths<
> annually. Our results indicate that for-profit dialysis centers provide<
> lower quality care compared to not-for-profit centers.<
><

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
plugger

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 12:32    Post subject: Hospitals     

It looks dialysis clinics aren't the only ones being hurt by the for-profit motive:

Hospital mortality rates analyzed
By LOIS BAKER
Contributing Editor
A study of data from more than 26,000 U.S. hospitals covering outcomes of 38 million patients has shown that people treated in private for-profit hospitals in the U.S. have a greater risk of dying than those cared for in private not-for-profit hospitals.
The study, carried out by researchers from UB, McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and the University of Toronto, appeared last month in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ).
The researchers undertook the meta-analysis of mortality statistics to help inform the debate under way in Canada over whether to move into the for-profit health-care-delivery arena.
"Most of the debate so far has focused on economics," said P. J. Devereaux, research fellow in the departments of Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at McMaster University and lead author on the study. "The emphasis has been on determining if for-profit hospitals can contain costs and run more efficiently; if having for-profits would create 'two-tier medicine,' and on the potential for foreign investors to become involved and influence Canadian health policy in light of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement).
"What has been missing from this debate is how expansion of private for-profit hospitals would affect patients," he said. "We undertook the study to find out the relative impact of private for-profit versus private not-for-profit delivery of hospital care on patient mortality."
Private not-for-profit hospitals are owned by religious organizations, communities, regional health authorities or hospital boards. For-profit hospitals are owned by shareholders or investors.
To conduct their review, the researchers systematically identified all relevant studies that compared private for-profit with private not-for-profit hospital mortality. They ended up analyzing 15 studies containing data from approximately 38 million patients hospitalized in 26,000 U.S. hospitals between 1982 and 1995. The data were adjusted for confounders such as teaching status of the hospital, the patients' severity of illness and hospitals' case mix.
Results showed that for-profit hospitals were associated with significantly higher mortality.
"Although the relative increase in risk amounts to 2 percent in our analysis, which may seem small, the absolute number is frightening," said Holger Schunemann, assistant professor of medicine and social and preventive medicine, and UB author on the study.
"In Canada, this percent is equivalent to 2,200 deaths yearly, which equals Canadian death rates for suicide, colon cancer or motor -ehicle accidents. The total numbers will be much higher in the U.S.," he said. "They speak for themselves."
The researchers point to pressure to achieve the expected profit for investors as the probable cause of this increase in mortality.
"Heads of for-profit hospitals are rewarded based on meeting or surpassing the profit margin," said Devereaux. When reimbursement comes from the same source as not-for-profits, such as from Medicare, for-profits are faced with trying to achieve the same outcomes while having less to spend on patient care.
"These issues raise concerns that the profit motive causes hospitals to limit care in ways that affect patient outcomes, and our findings suggest such concerns are justified."
The meta-analysis results have significant implications for health-care delivery.
"All data are derived from U.S. studies," said Schunemann. "The results are directly applicable to the American public. Being treated in a private for-profit hospital puts patients at increased risk, and the number of private for-profit hospitals in the U.S. is growing."
Additional researchers from McMaster University were Peter T-L Choi, Christina Lacchetti, Bruce Weaver, Ted Haines, John Lavis, David R.S. Halsam, Mohit Bhandari, Deborah J. Cook, Stephen D. Walter, Maureen Meade, Humaira Khan, Neera Bhatnagar and Gordon H. Guyatt.
Brydon J.B. Grant from the UB Department of Medicine and Terrence Sullivan from the Department of Health Policy Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto also participated.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
plugger

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 12:36    Post subject: Nursing homes     

And nursing homes:

Researchers from the University of California recently found that residents at non-profit nursing homes and public nursing facilities are much less likely to suffer abuse at the hands of their caregivers than those in for-profit facilities. This conclusion was based on state inspections of nearly 14,000 nursing facilities with no more than 16 residents/patients.
The researchers, whose study is published in the September issue of the American Journal of Public Health, warn families that the health and welfare of elderly family members is much too precious to leave to profit-driven operations.
According to researchers, the primary problem facing for-profit facilities is a lack of adequate staff. In fact, for-profit facilities had 31.7% fewer nurses than non-profit and public homes. Additionally, private facilities averaged six deficiencies in the areas of quality of care, quality of life and administrative problems, per home, while non-profit facilities averaged only four deficiencies per home.

http://www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Article=799

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
plugger

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 12:44    Post subject: Dialysis clinics and the drug epogen     

But back to dialysis clinics:

Anemia drug scam: Meanwhile, Congress has proposed a different payment adjustment for dialysis treatment to deal with a different systemic problem. Apparently, a Medical Technology and Practice Patterns Institute study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in April 2007 found that for-profit dialysis centers were pushing unnecessary anemia drugs on their patients. Anemia is a common symptom of renal disease and medical guidelines recommend anemia medication for those with red blood cell levels between 33% and 36%.

* The study determined that about 1 in 4 of patients who received treatment at for-profit dialysis centers had blood levels of 39% or higher.
* Unlike not-for-profit dialysis centers, which reduced doses of the anemia drug Epogen after they reached recommended hematocrit levels, for-profit centers continued to increase doses, sometimes to three times that of non-profit centers.

Why is this important? High doses of Epogen and similar drugs can lead to increased risk for death, strokes and heart attacks in kidney dialysis patients, which is why the FDAfollowing the study issued a black box warning to advise doctors that they should use only the lowest dose necessary.

Epogen becomes a profit center:

* Medicare paid $2 billion in reimbursements for Epogen in 2005, more than it spends on any other treatment.
* Reimbursements for Epogen account for 20% to 25% of the annual revenue of for-profit dialysis centers.
* The largest of these centers, like DaVita and Fresenius, can negotiate volume discounts with Amgen that allow them to purchase Epogen at a price lower than the amount Medicare reimburses them for the medication, thus

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
plugger

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 15:04    Post subject: SOLUTION - THE HOLY GRAIL     

I promised a solution to these problems and here it is:

HR676
federal bill to "To provide for comprehensive health insurance coverage for all United States residents, and for other purposes."

SEC. 103. QUALIFICATION OF PARTICIPATING PROVIDERS.
21 (a) REQUIREMENT TO BE PUBLIC OR NON-PROFIT.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 15:06    Post subject:     

Oh, and bill HR676 would also have the nice side effect of fixing our insurance woes.

Arundhati Roy