Author Topic: Getting my uf cutoff because of low blood pressure  (Read 9245 times)

admin

Getting my uf cutoff because of low blood pressure
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
jessieleya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: getting my uf cutoff because of low blood pressure    

i'm new to this. I have ESRD, have been on dialysis for eleven years, this time around. Recently, well maybe not recently, more like the last year, my blood pressure has dropped to 80/50, sometimes lower. I feel fine, not sick or anything. Well, the Dr. said he can't run me with a bp that low, even though I feel fine. His reason is because he doesn't want to get sued if I get sick after prolonged low bp and them letting me pull fluid. The problem is my blood pressure has alway ran low ever since I started this at 16. At first it wasn't a problem, they knew it ran low, until a tech got tired of talking to me. My problem is I have told them several times that not taking off a majority of my fluid can get me sick, just like now as I'm typing this, I just threw up and I don't throw up unless somethings wrong. All they keep saying is the Doc said we can't run you with a low bp. I feel so disrespected its my body and no one is listening to me about this. What can I do, Can I sue them for this. My dad says I can't, unless I've gotten harmed. And thats what I am trying to avoid. Also, they keep saying just as long as I'm running my blood is getting cleaned, but if I go in there with alot of fluid on they'll tell me how to much fluid on can harm, but when I brought up that exact statement they said, but thats different. Please, can somebody help me with this, I don't like being more sick and I don't want to have to deal with another health issue on top of this one.
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: Getting my uf cutoff because of low blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »
plugger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject:

Hi Jessie,

I'll get a hold of our Involved_RN so she can help you out. And welcome to the board! It is nice to hear from you!

I will mention though it is harder to sue a doctor than many think - not impossible, but it can be hard. If you have seen the movie "Erin Brockovich" you might remember the scene where Albert Finney - plays the lawyer Erin works for - says he can't go after the big bad company by himself because his firm is too small. Why? Because a company's lawyers can bury a small law firm in paperwork, etc... But you do have rights, so give me some time to check into what can be done with a problem like this.

Chris
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: Getting my uf cutoff because of low blood pressure
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »
Involved_RN_.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:    

Hi! Are you fluid overloaded? Have you lost real body weight? Does your nephrologist know about your situation? If not you probably need to be referred to a cardiologist. The low B/P probably indicates some form of heart failure. I've dealt with patients in this situation. I feel you need hospitalization with daily dialysis to remove your excess fluids and medication for your probable heart failure. Insist on seeing a cardiolgist and being hospitalized for daily dialysis. Involved RN.

Arundhati Roy