General Discussion > Patient Advocacy

Larry's treatment at Duke University Hospital

(1/9) > >>

amullin:
Larry was sent to Duke University Hospital to deal with his arm graft. He was told to present himself to the Emergency room, by his vascular surgeon. He did and was treated horribly. He was there approximately 12 hrs. It is a 3 hr drive one way.

After 5 hrs, he got an ultra sound on his swelling arm. He waited to see the doctor, who was going to write a script for pain and a sling. To come back to another appointment on Jan 21st.  He waited another 3-4 hrs, nurse came in and said he can leave. Larry asked for the prescription for pain medications and sling. No orders were written by the doctor and they could not find him. No wheelchair provided and left 11-12 hrs later and had to drive 3 hrs home.

His doctors were upset to say the least, they called and had him seen today. I called the CEO and the Medical Director the next day. Called Risk management and talked to them.. It appears that other patients have had trouble at Duke also with their treatment.

Waiting for a response and will post it with Chris' permission. No one should have to go throught this treatment. Waiting is one thing, sending him home with no medications for a level 10 pain is unbelievable.

cschwab:
Larry has already been through more than enough!  I would like to hear what they say, so no problem posting the response Arlene!   see_Larry Hall, Patient Advocate         

amullin:
It appears that Duke University Hospital is the worse I have advocated with in 11 1/2 years.

They sent Larry a letter stating that they would be dealing with his choice of advocate. That they would be working through me. To make it short.....the Risk Manager never sent me a copy. I called and she said that it was faxed......only I have no fax to receive it. They simply I feel have no remorse over Larry's care. I finally after 10 different extensions talked to the CEO...a different name than the Risk Manager gave me. Imagine that. The Risk Manager, hung up on me and went to the CEO after that.

I talked to Mr. William J. Flokersons CEO of Dukes Administrative Assistant. They are working on it quickly....its over 2 weeks already and to leave a message for the Supervisor that is on vacation. ?!

They have just called Larry to up his surgery date......could it be because Carl is his attorney now. It is a sad day, when a University hospital puts a patient through even 1/2 of what Larry has gone through. Only to show little or no remorse to do what is right.

Thank You Carl Ginsburg! Will keep you updated.
\

amullin:
It appears that Larry may have his surgery on Monday. Please keep him in our prayers.

cschwab:
He will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version