Author Topic: Here today.  (Read 9174 times)

getlife

Here today.
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a small intro here.

35 going on 36 years with Chronic Kidney Disease. Diagnosed at age 11. Started hemodialysis at age 15.
Presently on in-center nocturnal hemodialysis. 3 nights a week, 8 hours each.

Two previous transplants, first one, living donor, rejected right away, removed after 6 weeks.
Second one, disease donor lasting 18 years.  Failed in 1999. Been on nocturnal since.

Back on transplant list a year in October.

Diana
S

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: Here today.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
Hi Getlife,

Nice of you to drop by and welcome!  Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with all this and we look forward to hearing from you!

I'm glad to hear you are on slow nocturnal, I've heard a lot of good things about it.  If my daughter hadn't gotten the transplant I like to think we somehow could have gotten her on slow nocturnal.  One of the founders of this organization was a very big proponent of the treatment - Dr. Kenneth Bays.

Also good to see it's possible to do the treatment in-center.  Is it one of the big dialysis companies sponsoring this, or a smaller outfit?

Chris
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

Angie

• Kidney Recipient
  • Administrator
  • Don't take ur organs to heaven. We need them here
    • Kidney Korner
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
Hey Diana! I just realized you signed up! Nice to see you! :) Glad Nocturnal has been working for you! :) I never had the chance to do that as it is not available here but I would have liked to have had the chance.

Heard you got the call today and then they told you they had the wrong blood type? How did that happen?

('90) 1st KTx
('01) 4 1/2 yrs PD
('05) 2 yrs HD
('07) 2nd KTx

Reach out to celebrities and friends and family to educate about kidney disease. Don't wait for others to do that.

getlife

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
@cschwab
I dialyze at a LDO.  Fresenius Medical Care.  Davita also offers in-center Nocturnal Hemodialysis. 

@Angie, I am sorry, I was just browsing when I saw I had some unanswered questions.  Well, I don't have to answer your question.  You know the whole story by now.

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
I'm well acquainted with Fresenius, they have the clinics around here.  Good to hear DaVita and Fresenius have made some progress when it comes to slow nocturnal!  I think you are the first person I've run into that is doing that sort of treatment in a clinic.  Do you have much trouble sleeping through it?  I'll bet your labs are a whole lot better than most!

I was also wondering if you know if Fresenius is able to cover their costs with in-clinic slow nocturnal?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:13:44 PM by cschwab »

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

getlife

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
Sleep..I take a sleeping pill around 11 PM and it kicks in within 20 minutes.  Others who also dialyze there, come and go to sleep right away.  I am just not one of them.  The 8 hours definitely beats any 4 hour treatments.  My labs are very good.  The spKt/v runs around 3.18-4.2.  My diet is less restricted.  No complications with any cramping...etc.  It is well worth it. 

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
Get to cut back on meds too?  Sorry for all the questions, just you are the first person I've run into that does the in-clinic slow nocturnal - at least the first one who has made the mistake of mentioning it to me.  :)

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

Angie

• Kidney Recipient
  • Administrator
  • Don't take ur organs to heaven. We need them here
    • Kidney Korner
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
@Angie, I am sorry, I was just browsing when I saw I had some unanswered questions.  Well, I don't have to answer your question.  You know the whole story by now.

Ya I do now since you answered on KidneyKorner instead.  :computer:

Sleep..I take a sleeping pill around 11 PM and it kicks in within 20 minutes.  Others who also dialyze there, come and go to sleep right away.  I am just not one of them.  The 8 hours definitely beats any 4 hour treatments.  My labs are very good.  The spKt/v runs around 3.18-4.2.  My diet is less restricted.  No complications with any cramping...etc.  It is well worth it. 

I always had trouble sleeping on dialysis so I don't know how you do it.  :confused:

('90) 1st KTx
('01) 4 1/2 yrs PD
('05) 2 yrs HD
('07) 2nd KTx

Reach out to celebrities and friends and family to educate about kidney disease. Don't wait for others to do that.