Author Topic: National Effort at Campaign Finance Reform  (Read 5431 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
National Effort at Campaign Finance Reform
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:07 PM »
[h3]Fair Elections Now Act Bill Summary[/h3]

The Fair Elections Now Act (S. 752 and H.R. 1826) was introduced in the Senate by Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) and in the House of Representatives by Reps. John Larson (D-Conn.) and Walter Jones, Jr. (R-N.C.). The bill would allow federal candidates to choose to run for office without relying on large contributions, big money bundlers, or donations from lobbyists, and would be freed from the constant fundraising in order to focus on what people in their communities want.

http://www.fairelectionsnow.org/
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

Re: National Effort at Campaign Finance Reform
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
I think this is important and hope more Americans see this!

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:32 AM »
I did see an interesting idea from Dylan Ratigan from MSNBC about another way to even the playing field:

Publicly financed campaigns are one solution, but they seem to go against our very nature as Americans. After all, who wants to be forced into having their tax money going to politicians they don't like? Meanwhile, infringing on the amounts people can donate gives an advantage to wealthy candidates. But I think there is pretty easy solution to this:

I propose that we make a law that charges a 100% fee on all political spending, with the that fee going into a public campaign financing fund that is given solely to candidates with low campaign coffers on a per petition signature basis. This means that if a well-moneyed candidate like Barack Obama wants to spend $740 million of campaign donations, $370 million of that can go to his campaign and the other half to a public campaign fund.
http://dylanratiganshow.newsvine.com/_news/2010/07/02/4603856-fix-america-fix-the-politicians
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
I propose that we make a law that charges a 100% fee on all political spending, with the that fee going into a public campaign financing fund that is given solely to candidates with low campaign coffers on a per petition signature basis. This means that if a well-moneyed candidate like Barack Obama wants to spend $740 million of campaign donations, $370 million of that can go to his campaign and the other half to a public campaign fund.
http://dylanratiganshow.newsvine.com/_news/2010/07/02/4603856-fix-america-fix-the-politicians

Ha wouldn't THAT be nice if that happened but you know that would never.