Author Topic: I do not know what to do....need to hear your opion  (Read 3279 times)

admin

I do not know what to do....need to hear your opion
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:31:44 AM »
Isabel

Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: I do not know what to do....need to hear your opion   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mother recently began Dialysis; 3 weeks ago, her kidneys were only working at 24%. My mother?s primary care physician decided that my mother?s best route would be dialysis. Even though the kidney doctor was not completely sure about going on with dialysis but he eventually agreed with her pcp. One of her conditions for she was in the hospital was that her lungs kept filling with fluid and her blood pressure was very high. Between the cardiologist and the respitory physician did not agree on the fact of her heart, cardio doc assured us that her heart was in good working conditions but the respitory doc diagnosed my mother with "heart failure". When we spoke with the cardio doc and told him what the resp. doc said he was shocked because he said, ?her heart was very strong?, the only thing that came up on the test that were ran was a clogged artery in her kidneys, he then assured us that once it was opened (procedure called stent) she would be fine. My question is, since the pcp decided to put my Mother on dialysis first, and the stent later. (it was put after dialysis)<
>Did the PCP made the right recommendation? <
>Can my mother get off dialysis with out any further problems? <
>What are the risks? <
>She does not feel well after dialysis, why?<

***********************************************************************************       

jfwag

Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: My guess...   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...is and you must remember that I am not a doctor and you need more medical adivice. 24% kidney function is on that "so-so" line. 15% can be crucial. I am going t say that it might be difficult to take her off now because of internal political reasons but they can be overcome by persistance on your part. By coming to this board you have showed your interest and I am sure someone more qualified than me can give you help. I do know that your mother might not feel well after dialysis but it appears you have only begun to get into ESRD. Correct me if I am wrong. I would continue to question the way this process came about. I have had in the past been through the 15-25% kidney function dilema where one neph said it is time to go on dialysis and another one disagreed. Foundind RN can give more advice. Don't believe all nephs when they say "You need to go on dialysis now!" Good luck 

***********************************************************************************   

salguod

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: mother's dialysis   

I am not a doctor, but I know much about dialysis.<
>The first test that should be taken to determine<
>the need for dialysis is a creatine test. Ask the <
>doctors if they had this lab test done. If so, you<
>have a right to see the test results. A level of 9.0<
>is a sign of very low kidney function, this level is<
>when a patient definitely needs dialysis.<
>A creatine level of 2.0 to 3.0 is a sign of good <
>kidney function.<
>If fluid retention is the problem, dialysis can be done<
>to remove fluid only. My relative did not start dialysis<
>until his kidney function was at 10%, 9.0 creatine<
>level. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy