Author Topic: Ironman- first dialysis patient to compete in or complete  (Read 3619 times)

admin

Ironman- first dialysis patient to compete in or complete
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:38:19 AM »
shad ireland

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Ironman- first dialysis patient to compete in or complete  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,<
><
> My name is Shad Ireland. I am going to be the first Kidney dialysis patient to ever compete in or complete an Ironman competition. My goal is to finish with a qualifying time so that I can race in the world championship at Kona Hawaii this year. I will be competing at Lake Placid on July 25th. I am an age grouper in the 30-34 age group. I am 31 years old and have been on kidney dialysis for 21 years.<
><
>I have a website, http://www.shadireland.com./ <
><
> Personally, I have a list of things I want to achieve in my life; my personal philosophy is that any obstacle can be over come. I believe in turning obstacles into achievements. I have always wanted to do an Ironman, but never thought that I could because of my health. I have overcome much adversity to get to this point in my life, multiple surgeries, 2 failed kidney transplants and numerous hospitalizations. <
><
>I want to be able to inspire others, to give back, and make a difference. I remember when I started dialysis; I was 10 years old. I looked at everyone who was on dialysis and they were all really sick, I had no positive role model, no one to look to, I thought I was going to be sick like everyone else, I was scared. I want to encourage others to live life, to find strength in any adversity they encounter, to stand tall no matter the circumstance, I have a quote on my website, <
><
>An individual cannot know their truest ability until they are faced with great adversity. -Unknown<
><
>I believe this because I personally found it to be true (see my philosophy page on my website). The Ironman is more than just a race, it takes on a life of its own for each and every athlete, For me it has multiple meanings, It is a source of personal achievement and a standard by which I push myself. Its like climbing a mountain, when you get to the top you stop and take a deep
eath, quietly taken by the moment as you survey where you are, how far you have come, and what you have just achieved. I will achieve my goal and qualify for Kona, and through my achievement I hope to encourage and inspire others.<
><
>For more information please check out my website, http://www.shadireland.com/<
><
>Shad Ireland  

**********************************************************************************      

geek

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: clickable link  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.shadireland.com/<
>because I'm a geek I know on this website you need to have the httpportion of a URL for it to be clickable, and I know that a large number of internet users wont go if they can't click.<
><
>Shad I liked your web site alot but (maybe I just missed it) I would be very interested in the details of your ESRD treatment. Which machine, do you self cannulate, which kidney, etc. And since you are so open could you say about any ESRD issues you have experienced and maybe tell us about yourself physically. How many chin ups can you do, how fast can you run a mile, etc. and since you or someone you know has HTML skills a time line would be interesting ie 1/00 first chin up; 2/00 finished a mile in 8 minutes, that sort of thing to show your progression. Just my curiosity Shad, what you've posted is great and I am rooting for you!  

**********************************************************************************      

shad ireland

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply to geek  

Hi,<
><
>If you go to the general discussion board under the same topic you will find more info that answers your questions. T

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy