Author Topic: Internal political reasons??? please advise!!! (part b)  (Read 1202 times)

admin

Internal political reasons??? please advise!!! (part b)
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

ridgerunner

Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: isabel  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i believe i am in your mother,s age group and all i can tell is my own experiences with dialysis. i too started twice a week 3 hours with reuse. dialysis was HELL. i had the same post dialysis experences your mother had. i changed clinics. the doctor put me on 3 times a week at 4 hours then four times a week. he explained that if i would go on home and do more dialysis it would i would feel better. he said the closer that the treatment was like the way the body did it the better i would feel. i now diayze 6 nights a week 8 hour plus each treatment. i know finding a place to support home trearment is almost impossible and a person should be in the home while the tretment is going on. doing it slow and gentle shocks the body very little.  

****************************************************************************      

Isabel

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Worry and Confused  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am worry and confused. I have never seen my mother so sick. Dialysis is hurting her too much. She never complain from chest pain, now she has chest pain and her temporary access is also hurting. <
><
>I am also confuse about Neph, I believe that my mother Neph does not have a clinic and I do not know where to take care. I do not trust her PCP anymore. <
><
>The Dialysis unit gave my mother a two pages paper to sign. Those paper mentioned she was informed about the the reuse kidneys. I refused to sign them because I did not what they were talking about. Know I am glad I did not sign.<
><
>I am also have problems to get copy of her papers after treatment. I need to know if she is getting an appropiate dialysis. Why the Dialysis center refuse to give copy of her paper after treatment? <
><
>  

Worker Bee

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Copies  

Isabel,<
> You and your mother have the right to get a copy of her dialysis log sheet after each treatment. Please take the time to learn about dialysis. Do ask questions about the machine, what they are doing, etc. Write questions down and be firm but polite when you ask. If you get angry or upset, it will only make things worse. <
> Elderly people tend to carry their excess fluid in the chest and abdominal area. When fluid is pulled from this area, it can mimick chest pain. Your mother and you will have to learn about the difference between real chest pain and cramping from fluid removal.<
> If your mother is having problems with cramping, ask her neph about a medication called Quinine. It is often used by dialysis patients who have problems with cramping. Taken just as she is getting on dialysis or mid way through, it can help reduce the effects of cramps.  

Isabel

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: advise me to take my mother to another center......  

I spoke with the Head Nurse of the dialysis center and they told me this is a reuse center. And can be against their policy to give me copies of my mother records because I might be showing to other pt. I told her that I am concern about my mother receiving a good dialysis, that is all.<
><
>She advised me if I want to take my mother to another center.....<
>  

leadsag

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: none  

...IF there was another center in the area and<
><
>IF that center was operated by a different company or group of doctors and<
><
>IF the center you are at now does not tell the potential new center that you are a "trouble maker"<
><
>you might be able to switch centers.<
><
>I do not think they can refuse to give you a new dialyzer even if they say they 'are a re-use center.' But you should check with the experts here on that.  

dialysis patient also

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: re-use  

Isabel, you need to think hard about leaving your mother on re-use. A lot of clinics are getting away from this aspect as too much human error not to mention the dialyzer's lose start
eaking down after x amount of treatments. Yes, these nephrologist do talk to each other about sending a patient to one another, also the workers of the clinic itself. My clinic tried to shove re-use down my throat and I stood my ground with the nephrologist and advised I would leave him and he immediately ordered a new kidney each treatment. Geez, I am so sorry that you are having to do all of this leg-work during the most trying times when your mom is trying to adjust to this new procedure and life.  

Help is here

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Contact DEO for help.  

Isabel,<
> E-mail or call Arlene if the unit insists on reuse. You and your mother have the right to refuse it. You need to let Arlene know what company owns the unit. Fesinius, Gam
o, Renal CAre Group, or whoever. She can help advocate for your mother in your situation. But she can do nothing until you contact her.  

Isabel

Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Arlene address  

Can you please provide me with Arlene address, email and phone number. Thank you!  

leadsag

Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: contact info  

Phone: 360-604-4440<
><
>Mailing Address ialysisethics.org<
>11500 NE 76th St. Box 241<
>Vancouver,Wa 98662<
><
>email is amullin@uswest.net<
><
>Sounds like you will need the advocacy form signed also.  

aprnjam

Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Out of Town  

Arlene will be out of town until next Tuesday, but rest assured she will contact you as soon as she returns! E-mail her with as much information as you possible can, so she will have it when she calls you upon her return! She will defintely help you!!!  

Founding RN

Posted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Help  

If it is an emergency, please E-mail me at<
><
> FRN2DE@yahoo.com<
><
>and we will help you out. Otherwise, leave messges, e-mail or snail mail at the usual contacts.  

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy