Author Topic: Wall Street Journal Article  (Read 2162 times)

admin

Wall Street Journal Article
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Home Hemo

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Wall Street Journal Article   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to go to clinic today, and the dialysis nurse told me there was an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal concerning dialysis. Assume this is the article by the journalist that was talking to dialysis patients across the country. If anyone has the article, will they please post it here? Thanks a bunch! 

RedheadedReptile

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Paid membership required to read article! :(   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the Wall Street Journal website and found the article-- but you have to be a paid subscriber to read it online. It is about rationing of dialysis, but it seems to focus more on home dialysis rationing... it doesn't look as if it refers to in-center dialysis. 

BE

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: WSJ   

I read the article today. It is about home hemodialysis out of New York. They talked about the benefits and how well the patients were doing. Also talked about the issue of funding for these programs. They are limited as there is not much funding for them from the federal government. Looks like NYC had about 11 patients and a unit in upstate NY had about 25. In my opinion dialysis will not improve until the payment system is based on the time on the machine. More time equals more payment. 

ridgerunner

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: wallstreet journal   

i take the paper and i saw the article yeasterday. i talked to the reporter and he was very well informed. he plands on doing more articles on the problem. he probably will contact DOE to get more information. of course it will depend on the editors. we need to keep getting more facts out. the truth will win out in the long run if we keep pushing. 

leadsag

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: another idea   

Instead of having reimbursement based on time, how about results? A base amount of reimbursement with bonus for years on dialysis, above goal lab results, etc. 

Lin

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Rationing   

I don't get the Journal, but a neighbor was kind enough to save it for me. It was an article written about the Rogosin home hemo program out of NYC. The point of the article was to say that home hemo in the beginning is a big outlay, but savings abound in the long term. However, the center has to carefully screen pts. for their program so they can be sure there won't be any dropouts, as that is a big cost setback.<
>I've read the articles saying there is eventually a cost savings with home hemo, and I've also heard the arguments from people saying it can't be. All other factors aside there is one that most everyone forgets, and that is the fact that if I for instance choose to do home hemo, that will mean the center I go to will have an empty chair to fill, and they at this moment have a long waiting list! If they can show cost savings, and get people to do home hemo. they will be able to fill the chair with someone else, even perhaps someone with private ins.. <
>The article from the Journal was an excellent one! Too bad it's a "paid" site so couldn't copy and paste. It just so happens I have a friend who is going into the Rogosin program so I'll see how that goes. Lin. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy