Author Topic: Protein Loss on CAPD... Advice on replacing it, please...  (Read 5115 times)

admin

Protein Loss on CAPD... Advice on replacing it, please...
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Protein Loss on CAPD... Advice on replacing it, please...   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mum's on CAPD, and her dietitian has raised concerns about her protein levels...

Mum's not a great meat eater, and I'm struggling to get protein into her...

I'd VERY much appreciate any advice you can offer me...

Thank you in advance...

Darth...

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: Protein Loss on CAPD... Advice on replacing it, please...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
Involved_RN_.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protein is very important for survival-the albumin blood level should be at 5 but never lower than 4. People with kidney failure do have decreased appetites and find meat bad tasting. Sometimes adding powered egg whites to their food does help boost their albumin (measures protein levels over 2-3 months). I have attached a recipe for a renal milkshake that I find delicious. I hope this helps. InvolvedRN

Recipe:

Renal Milkshake

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject:   

Thank you, RN...

Yes, Mum says that meat always tastes as if it's 'gone' off...

Love the milkshake idea.... Might try that one myself!!!....

I'l be asking the pharmacist to find out about supplements too.... Keep all the options open!...

Thank You again... I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply...

May God bless and protect you....

Darth....

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
Angieskidney

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:   

That sounds very good RN! I am glad that you are involved in patient care even outside of the work place! I wish more were like you! :) I read over that recipe and it sounds perfect for lab results and taste! Thank you! :)

Arundhati Roy