Author Topic: Sentenced to Die In Texas  (Read 30550 times)

admin

Sentenced to Die In Texas
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
Dialysis Crusader

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Sentenced to Die In Texas  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
My name is Abby and I have been on dialysis for 3 years. Recently, my doctor fired me as a patient because he said there was a general loss of trust. His technicians recorded wrong blood pressures and the doctor we will call Dr. Malpractice refused to listen to me, the patient, when I would explain I had gained weight. The doctor said I had HIGH blood pressure and needed to remove more fluid. So, they said I needed to remove 7 kg when in fact I only needed to remove 3 kg. So during treatment and after I would pass out and not feel well. 9 Mos the doctor refused to listen or change my dry weight and the technicians still did their jobs incorrectly.
So I followed protocol. I complained to the Center Director. We will call him Fairy. Fairy stated he would look into my claims. He made it sound like everything was going to be OK. About a week after my complaint, one particular Tech who made the majority of the mistakes began to stare at me and shake her head. One day she walked past and called me a "bleep". I asked Fairy to not have her near me and reported what I had heard. This was fine for about a month, then one day I came in early for treatment and saw the same tech setting up my machine. My heart began to beat out of my chest. I asked a nurse t check the machine. It had been set up with the wrong patient Heparin. The nurse switched mine with the wrong syringe and reset my machine. Later while on the machine, another technician asked who set my machine up...I gave her the name and asked why. This particular tech said it has beed set up wrong. At this point I called Fairy over to report my situation. Fairy not only did not care, he yelled at me while I was dialyzing. He stated the tech's mistake was minor and "end of discussion". So I reported the incident and Fairy's reaction to my complaint to his boss. She indicated there would be an investigation. A month later I still had nothing back from this so called investigation. Finally in June 2009 I was called into a meeting with Dr. Malpractice and Fairy. I brought with me a witness and had one listening on my cell phone. This is where Dr. Malpractice through Fairy accusedme of clamping my lines and adding air into my machine. They fired me as a patient that day. The tech who made this accusation was not present at this meeting and they did not allow my witness nor myself ask any questions. The tech who stuck me the day the air was in my machine was gone. He no longer worked there. I hired a friend to find him, he was working in a city about an hour and a half away at a new facility. I called him and learned the air was in my filter and was in the machine already. he stated whoever set up my machine that day was responsible for the air. Dr. Malpractice refused to listen. So I began to look for another clinic. No one would take me. The Davita clinics advised me they were advised not to take me. The others stated they could not. I attempted to make appointments with Nephrologists and would be called back advising my appt had been cancelled. This is when I went into survival mode and found Arlene. It got ugly and she went for the jugular. Today I have a new clinic and am having the best care I could ever imagine possible. The care I recieve now compared to the care with Dr. Malpractice is opposite ends of the spectrum. Day and Night.
I am alive today because of Arlene and I am 100% grateful.
I am also 100% motivated to help others who's doctor is not there for the patient.

Click_for_more_of_Abby's_story

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:10:14 AM by cschwab »
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

Re: Sentenced to Die In Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, Abby... What a story... Flipping Hell... What a way to be treated!...

I've often had to put my foot down to make sure that Mum's treated in the best manner, so I understand the constant battle!...

I'm delighted to hear that you're now happy and doing well at your new centre... Onward and upward!...

Thumbs up for Arlene I say!.....

God bless you, Abbey, and take good care of yourself...

Love...

Darth...

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
Dialysis Crusader

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject:   

Thank You Darth Vader. I am happy to be alive. It has been a wild ride and I am now feeling the effects of the stress I have been under for months. But you know Vader... it is all over.
Don' take any crap from em' and watch out for yer Mum.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:   

Thanks Abby....

It's great to hear that you're doing well, and yes, I can understand the stress you've gone through... I was like a coiled up spring when Mum was on haemo... The battles didn't end there either.... When she's been in hospital with peretonitis, I've had to be what a friend calls "a B with an itch"... Not known as 'That B***h in the Wheelchair for nothing!...

Please take care, Abbey, and I hope all continues to go well for you...

God bless...

Darth....

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
plugger

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject:   

Abby,

Great to hear from you! I see you have met our resident source of trouble on our board lately, I only let her stay because I like her Mum. Actually she got me laughing a time or two - and crying at others (have to keep a balance).

As for Arlene she is a great lady, but don't tell her I told you that - don't want her to get a big head.

I can only imagine the stress you were under. I've watched this for nine years and I still can't recall a reason to dismiss a non-violent patient - maybe my memory is bad. And to top it off it looks like you were dismissed illegally, I believe you were supposed to be given 30 days notice according to the procedures I have major qualms with anyway.

Anyway, I'll be emailing you and just worry about taking care of yourself for now.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »
Angieskidney

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sentenced to Die In Texas   

Oh WOW Abby! Thanks for sharing your story! Stories like yours I had heard a few times but found people were always afraid to talk about them. These stories are the whole reason that while on was on hemo dialysis that I never travelled to the United States (I am typing this from Pennsylvania now on my first vacation to the States since now I have a transplant). I am glad that Arlene was able to help you and I am learning more and more about just how much Dialysis Ethics has helped people! Thank you for sharing!

I know when I was on incenter HD my BP was always high and I had to be on 4 BP meds. At first I had too much fluid on me but only because of complications having to do with an infection that caused me to have to go from PD to HD. But after awhile my fluids were perfect and I also became in charge of my own care and was very good at knowing exactly how much to take off. My BP was still high so it isn't always just purely fluid that causes that. No one knows our bodies as well as we do and after we gets an idea of how our bodies are on HD then we are a very reliable judge but many dialysis staff do not listen. But I could never imagine being fired from a dialysis unit! WOW! I am in Canada so things like that simply do not happen here.

Thank you so much for sharing! It is very important that people know what goes on so that changes and improvements can be made.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:   

Me???... Trouble???.... I'm angelic, I am!!!... I'm quiet, and shy and retiring (when I'm heavily sedated!).... The trouble Abby, is the company I've been known to keep.... My mum warned me not to talk to strangers... And let's face it Abby, they don't come much stranger than Plugger!... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...

Are you telling me Plugger that I've made you cry???... YIPPIE!!!!!!.... Success!!!!!! :D :D :D

Take care everyone!...

Love...

Darth...

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
plugger

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:   

Twisted!! Is that a bad thing?

And I only cry tears of joy when a day goes by and you don't torture me woman.

Sorry, can't resist a little bad humor now and then, relieves the stress.

Thank you again Abby for telling your story. This kind of thing keeps getting swept under the rug, and it just keeps happening over and over again. It does need to see the light of day before it stops.

Arundhati Roy

admin

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »
Darthvadar

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject:   

Strange thing, Chris....

I only cry when you DO get in touch!!!!.... Oh and about the torture... You're safe for a little while... I'll be waiting a while for delivery of the Cattle Prod... Hee Hee!!!!!....

Love?????.....

Darth....

Arundhati Roy

angieskidney

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »
Angieskidney

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sentenced to Die In Texas   

Oh WOW Abby! Thanks for sharing your story! Stories like yours I had heard a few times but found people were always afraid to talk about them. These stories are the whole reason that while on was on hemo dialysis that I never travelled to the United States (I am typing this from Pennsylvania now on my first vacation to the States since now I have a transplant). I am glad that Arlene was able to help you and I am learning more and more about just how much Dialysis Ethics has helped people! Thank you for sharing!

I know when I was on incenter HD my BP was always high and I had to be on 4 BP meds. At first I had too much fluid on me but only because of complications having to do with an infection that caused me to have to go from PD to HD. But after awhile my fluids were perfect and I also became in charge of my own care and was very good at knowing exactly how much to take off. My BP was still high so it isn't always just purely fluid that causes that. No one knows our bodies as well as we do and after we gets an idea of how our bodies are on HD then we are a very reliable judge but many dialysis staff do not listen. But I could never imagine being fired from a dialysis unit! WOW! I am in Canada so things like that simply do not happen here.

Thank you so much for sharing! It is very important that people know what goes on so that changes and improvements can be made.

Reading back to my old post I realize I had lost my train of thought there. I was going to say that I gradually learned my body and many times they tried to say I needed more fluid taken off and I tried to tell them no I didn't but that I was gaining weight back because I had only been as skinny as I was because I had lost so much weight from how sick I got with the Peritonitis (Had went from 140 lbs down to 113 lbs in only one month so it was only normal that I would gain weight). And that the weight gain, as much as they did not believe it, was normal weight and not fluid weight.

I feel for Abby in her Testimonial here as I can picture myself in that same situation. She did not do anything wrong and am glad that Dialysis Ethics had been there for her!  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:18:17 AM by Angie »