Author Topic: Larry's treatment at Duke University Hospital  (Read 59791 times)

amullin

Larry's treatment at Duke University Hospital
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
Larry was sent to Duke University Hospital to deal with his arm graft. He was told to present himself to the Emergency room, by his vascular surgeon. He did and was treated horribly. He was there approximately 12 hrs. It is a 3 hr drive one way.

After 5 hrs, he got an ultra sound on his swelling arm. He waited to see the doctor, who was going to write a script for pain and a sling. To come back to another appointment on Jan 21st.  He waited another 3-4 hrs, nurse came in and said he can leave. Larry asked for the prescription for pain medications and sling. No orders were written by the doctor and they could not find him. No wheelchair provided and left 11-12 hrs later and had to drive 3 hrs home.

His doctors were upset to say the least, they called and had him seen today. I called the CEO and the Medical Director the next day. Called Risk management and talked to them.. It appears that other patients have had trouble at Duke also with their treatment.

Waiting for a response and will post it with Chris' permission. No one should have to go throught this treatment. Waiting is one thing, sending him home with no medications for a level 10 pain is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:16:08 AM by cschwab »

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: Larry's treatment at Duke University Hospital
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
Larry has already been through more than enough!  I would like to hear what they say, so no problem posting the response Arlene!   see_Larry Hall, Patient Advocate         
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:32:02 AM by cschwab »
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

amullin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
It appears that Duke University Hospital is the worse I have advocated with in 11 1/2 years.

They sent Larry a letter stating that they would be dealing with his choice of advocate. That they would be working through me. To make it short.....the Risk Manager never sent me a copy. I called and she said that it was faxed......only I have no fax to receive it. They simply I feel have no remorse over Larry's care. I finally after 10 different extensions talked to the CEO...a different name than the Risk Manager gave me. Imagine that. The Risk Manager, hung up on me and went to the CEO after that.

I talked to Mr. William J. Flokersons CEO of Dukes Administrative Assistant. They are working on it quickly....its over 2 weeks already and to leave a message for the Supervisor that is on vacation. ?!

They have just called Larry to up his surgery date......could it be because Carl is his attorney now. It is a sad day, when a University hospital puts a patient through even 1/2 of what Larry has gone through. Only to show little or no remorse to do what is right.

Thank You Carl Ginsburg! Will keep you updated.
\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:03:56 PM by cschwab »

amullin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:57 PM »
It appears that Larry may have his surgery on Monday. Please keep him in our prayers.

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »
He will be in our thoughts and prayers!

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

angieskidney

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:15:28 AM »
I hope he has no problems with his surgery. Will it be done at Duke University Hospital? Was the date changed from Jan 21st to Jan 4th because of Carl being involved now?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:30:25 AM by Angie »

amullin

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
It appears that Duke has had a change of heart. It has become so large that the patients are all but disappearing in the fog.

I talked to the CEO's office and they are putting forth an effort to correct their treatment towards patients in the emergency room.

It is only the beginning. :cheerleader:

The treatment to the "risk manager" was poor to say the least. She hung up on me and said they did not have to do anything. I called the Administration office, and said that they could now contact Carl Ginsburg, who will be taking over as his Lawyer. This is the first time I have ever had to do this. To do what they did to Larry has no words to explain the "horror" that they put him through. It was his surgeon and physician that sent him to the emergency room at Duke. His arm was beyond anything they could do at a local hospital. They sent him home approximately 12 hours, with 3 hours one way travel time with no meds,wheelchair or meds. He was on his own with a level 10 paing.
This is the arm that DaVita trashed and was found guilty of medical malpractice. He has been suffering a pain level of 10. As between his treatments, the fluid builds in his arm.

It felt as if Duke joined DaVita with the lack of empathy and compassion. I have never seen Larry so down and ready to give up.

Carl and others are monitoring this at close.ly

Darthvadar

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Larry...

I hope your surgery goes well...

The Emergency Depts. are DREADFUL in Ireland, too!... I had to threaten to go screaming to the media to get Mum seen after a FOURTEEN hour wait...

Not proud of my behaviour, but it worked!...

I'm not known as That B*tch in the Wheelchair for nothing!...

Keep the faith, and keep fighting the good fight!...

Love...

Darth...

amullin

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
It appears that the letter that was mysteriously faxed...came in the mail. They fax Larry's information to a wrong fax number. They faxed (Duke University Medical Center) to an unauthorized faxed number. Had all of Larry's information on it. I think that this is truly a violation of the HIPA law. :nurse:

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
It appears that the letter that was mysteriously faxed...came in the mail. They fax Larry's information to a wrong fax number. They faxed (Duke University Medical Center) to an unauthorized faxed number. Had all of Larry's information on it. I think that this is truly a violation of the HIPA law.

Aren't doing much to impress are they?  Must have went to the same school as our Irish hospital friends.

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

Darthvadar

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »
That appaling, but not one bit surprising that Larry's personal information has been misused, accidentially or otherwise!...

I had dropped in some paperwork to the hospital relating to Mum... They lost it!... Now someone not only has Mum's medical details (some relating to her dignity), but they have her DOB, and PPS (Soc.Sec.) number... So they have everyhting they need to steal her identity!...

Some people are SO careless!...

Love to all...

Darth...

angieskidney

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »
Yeah and it seems they just shrug it off as error and disregard the danger to security..

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
Today is Larry's surgery day   :goodluck:

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

Darthvadar

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:26 AM »
Any news of Larry???...

Darth...

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
Haven't heard anything, I'll have to call soon.

Chris

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings