Author Topic: Dialysis and Medical Coverage  (Read 3466 times)

angieskidney

Dialysis and Medical Coverage
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
I got a question about Dialysis & Medical Coverage in the United States of America. Sorry I know hardly anything about this but it is because I am Canadian. I was under the impression that as soon as someone starts dialysis that they are qualified for at least Medicare or Medicaid but then I heard a story on another forum about a lady who is in Emergency Dialysis and the hospital won't let her go because her bill is not paid. I was thinking, "won't that raise her bill higher? Why don't they work out a payment system? They do here in Canada if someone does not have coverage (such as those who have been in the country less than 6 months but legally)"...

So this led me to start a thread because I want  to understand the situation. The more I hear about these stories, the more I can see why the USA should have Universal Health Care. The Health Care System in Canada may not be perfect but boy I am sure glad I don't have to worry about the issues Americans do!!

Incase you are interested in reading about what I read that led me to post this, here is a link to the thread on that other forum:

http://www.davita.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6387

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: Dialysis and Medical Coverage
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »
I was curious about this myself, so I looked it up.  I found this on medicare's site:

"However, if you are under age 65 and only eligible for Medicare because of ESRD, generally your Medicare coverage can
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:58:06 PM by cschwab »
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

Re: Dialysis and Medical Coverage
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
I was curious about this myself, so I looked it up.  I found this on medicare's site:

"However, if you are under age 65 and only eligible for Medicare because of ESRD, generally your Medicare coverage can