Author Topic: Rapid Tranporter  (Read 7794 times)

admin

Rapid Tranporter
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Paula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Rapid Transporter   

I had been on hemo dialysis for 3 years but all of my sites have failed so I'm into my 2nd year of home peritoneal dialysis 4 times a day but my catheter has had to be replaced once and moved and now I'm told I'm a rapid transporter. What does this mean? Any answers I would greatly appreciate, my nephrologist was gone so I suffered with a new partner who knew nothing about me. Thank you. Paula

been there too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:   

This means your peritoneal membrane moves solutes and fluids rapidly - you don't need long dwells for ultrafiltration or clearances. You are a good cylcer candidate - versus a slow transporter - those patients do better with longer dwells and usually do better on CAPD. Hope this helps.

been there too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:   

Question - did your home training nurse do a PET - Peritoneal Equilibrium Test - to get this information? I usually do a PET 4 - 6 weeks after a patient has been on PD to establish transport characteristics. If not, a PET is the best way to determine membrane transport characteristics. It consists of a 4 hour dwell with a 2L 2.5% dextrose solution - dialysate samples are taken from your abdomen @ 0, 2 and 4 hour intervals with a blood test - BUN - at 2 hours into the test, simultaneously done with the 2 hour sample retreival. Also, a 24 hour urine sample is collected and a specimen sent with the blood and dialysate.

Paula43

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Rapid Transporter   

Thank You for your answers. Yes the tests were done by my PD Nurse but she never told me, it was my Nephrologist who told me I'm a Rapid Transporter. Because of other health problems I continue to do PD instead instead of the Cycler. Again, Thank You for your help Cheesy Paula
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy