Author Topic: Sick Around the World  (Read 4616 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Sick Around the World
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »
Want a good overview of other countries' health care, all in a one hour program?  Even though they don't have the best health care in the world like us!  :R

This classic program from Frontline takes a look at health care in 5 capitalist countries:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

As a side note I did listen to a radio program with T.R. Reid, the journalist in the program, and he felt Japan's system could translate best to the U.S..

Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

Re: Sick Around the World
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Great link! Been gone for awhile and checked out this link and it is interesting.

Read this now before I check out the video archive there:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/etc/synopsis.html

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
I'm glad you like it Angie!  It is still one of my favorite intros for someone interested in how other capitalist, democratic countries handle health care.

Of course we have to consider that you are Canadian - and if I listen to the health insurance propaganda here - are dying waiting health care, live in an igloo, eat whale blubber, and have ambulances consisting of dog sleds.  So you may not know any better.  ;)
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
I'm glad you like it Angie!  It is still one of my favorite intros for someone interested in how other capitalist, democratic countries handle health care.

Of course we have to consider that you are Canadian - and if I listen to the health insurance propaganda here - are dying waiting health care, live in an igloo, eat whale blubber, and have ambulances consisting of dog sleds.  So you may not know any better.  ;)

Yeah in this year alone I have heard all that and I never realized how the rest of the world knew so little of Canadian health care. I mean .. we are NOT dying waiting for health care -- I am proof of that -- and I have never even SEEN an igloo or a dog sled or even a whale in my life!  :D

Plus I like the tax system even though I HATE how high the taxes have gone in Canada.
Why? Because I like going to the hospital and only worrying about my health and NOT how it will be paid for...

Plus since our taxes pay for it we don't even realize we are all paying for it here (well we forget sometimes because it is just the way it has been here for awhile now) until we hear about the stories from the USA and think "Boy are we lucky in Canada we don't have to worry about what we will do 3 years after our kidney transplants!"