Author Topic: Workers see higher health costs, less care  (Read 5196 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Workers see higher health costs, less care
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
  By Susan Heavey Susan Heavey   
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

Re: Workers see higher health costs, less care
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
I know my fiance has not had any coverage for years and so many times he tells me "I can't get checked for this or that" or "I hope this pain just passes as I don't have the money to make sure it is nothing serious" even though he has had the same job for a few years now. Seems mechanics commonly do not have health benefits as part of the package? He said that if it ever became more affordable it would be great. However he does not like how high my taxes are when he comes to visit Canada.. 

He was looking into insurance for the option of me moving there instead of him moving here but he calculated it would cost him $400 a month in PA! That is insane! But I might just think it is because I don't pay such costs like that where I live. When something happens medically to me I just go to a doc and don't worry about costs except for uncovered medications or tests.

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
I know my fiance has not had any coverage for years and so many times he tells me "I can't get checked for this or that" or "I hope this pain just passes as I don't have the money to make sure it is nothing serious" even though he has had the same job for a few years now.

Unfortunately a lot people here are in the same situation as your fiance.  Then when something serious happens it can be pretty far along and costs go up - not to mention the additional suffering a person has to go through.

Seems mechanics commonly do not have health benefits as part of the package? He said that if it ever became more affordable it would be great. However he does not like how high my taxes are when he comes to visit Canada.. 

I just went through six years of not having health insurance, there a lot of people going without - though I did have coverage from the Veteran's Administration (thank God for that government-run, government-paid-for health care here).  I would gladly trade paying health insurance premiums for higher taxes, everything I read says you are paying less for health care there and covering everybody.  The main goal of the insurance companies here seems to be keeping the money, they don't make anything for actually having to pay for health care.

He was looking into insurance for the option of me moving there instead of him moving here but he calculated it would cost him $400 a month in PA! That is insane! But I might just think it is because I don't pay such costs like that where I live. When something happens medically to me I just go to a doc and don't worry about costs except for uncovered medications or tests.

Makes me want to sneak across the border for the health care
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
I know my fiance has not had any coverage for years and so many times he tells me "I can't get checked for this or that" or "I hope this pain just passes as I don't have the money to make sure it is nothing serious" even though he has had the same job for a few years now.

Unfortunately a lot people here are in the same situation as your fiance.  Then when something serious happens it can be pretty far along and costs go up - not to mention the additional suffering a person has to go through.

Seems mechanics commonly do not have health benefits as part of the package? He said that if it ever became more affordable it would be great. However he does not like how high my taxes are when he comes to visit Canada..

I just went through six years of not having health insurance, there a lot of people going without - though I did have coverage from the Veteran's Administration (thank God for that government-run, government-paid-for health care here).  I would gladly trade paying health insurance premiums for higher taxes, everything I read says you are paying less for health care there and covering everybody.  The main goal of the insurance companies here seems to be keeping the money, they don't make anything for actually having to pay for health care.

Makes me want to sneak across the border for the health care

Haha yeah.  It is nice here. So nice that I take it for granted sometimes. There have been a couple meds I was put on that was not covered and I was like "heck no! Just give me something else!" I guess I am spoiled by the health care system here! :P  But of course I am also talking about Provincial Disability I am on. Don't get me wrong. Medication is NOT covered in ALL Provinces. Only some like I heard it is in Alberta! Now THAT is the place to live! ;)

(By the way, Alberta is another Province in Canada, a few over and west of me)