Author Topic: When Ailments Pile Up, Asking Patients to Rethink Free Dialysis  (Read 4050 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
When Ailments Pile Up, Asking Patients to Rethink Free Dialysis
By GINA KOLATA
Published: March 31, 2011

Of all the terrible chronic diseases, only one
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: When Ailments Pile Up, Asking Patients to Rethink Free Dialysis
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:36:25 PM »
I like to think I would pull the plug for myself if life was miserable enough.  Heck, as I told Angie I was ready to call in Dr. Kervorkian after recently dealing with the flu and a toothache. 

But I may wind up changing my mind like the 84 year-old did.  Should be my choice.  I hope this doesn't go beyond gentle persuasion.

If the author is worried about saving money, maybe she can do a story on the history of dialysis.  Tell us where the money went from '91 to '01 (looks like patient care can be eliminated as a drain):

"From

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

angieskidney

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »
You bring up a very good point and so does the story (2 different points). Patients might be willing to take "the natural course of things" but family will many times not understand how someone would not do dialysis if it can keep them living. Family also needs to be counseled when it comes time for an 80+ person to go on dialysis. People can make informed choice if they know the facts and the elderly can handle the facts better than any young person and doctors should realize this and be more frank. Some people on dialysis who are older than 80 say they would rather enjoy their last few years instead of having it on dialysis. They need an honest description of both sides of the coin: The best and worst of being on dialysis with their health and age, and the best and worst of letting their health take the natural progression of kidney failure.

However I can see where this could lead to corruption in the American medical system as doctors could write down in the chart that they decided to opt out of dialysis and just never offer it to the person or tell the family of the option (until a family member inquires about it).  There would have to be investigations to make sure that the procedures are being followed properly but already existing procedures aren't being followed well enough as it is. It is no secret that they are looking for anywhere they can save money / cut costs, but it should never be Win for medical / loss for patient. Never. Doctors and any medical staff who sees a numerous amount of people pass away tend to be desensitized to death and feel that elderly patients should accept it as rationally as they and with grace. Too bad doctors have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of someone just diagnosed and told they must start dialysis when they want to see their grandkids grow up and have so many hopes and dreams. There is more of a life than just the medical life. People naturally want to live. No matter how old someone is, they usually won't turn down dialysis unless they have already been through it before and had a very hard time and have second thoughts wondering if it is time to let things happen naturally, or have went through so many other things medically that they are more apt to accept what the doctor wants them to accept.

I can see doctors really want less elderly patients to be on dialysis but they should not persuade against dialysis but instead just lay the facts out evenly. All sides, without bias. Let people decide for themselves. However the nation is looking at how to cut costs and it is not necessarily at dialysis they should look at cutting but it is the easiest to blame nation wide. Not a lot is known about where the money goes and what actually costs what (at least most patients don't know exact figures) so it is easy to say it is a huge part of the nations debt.

What ever happens, the elderly should not be made into scape goats.

*Disclaimer: This is only my opinion by what I have heard over years from people and based on no facts but the article made me think.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:15:58 AM by Angie »

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
Think you hit the nail on the head when you said "but instead just lay the facts out evenly. All sides, without bias.".

Guess I was trying to point out there might be other ways to save money before we push the elderly to reconsider dialysis.  It looks dialysis used to cost less years ago and got better results.  I would like to see a breakdown of what happened?

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

angieskidney

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »
Yeah I think a LOT of people would actually

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »
Did write the author of that article suggesting if she was worrying about saving money she ought figure out where the money has gone over the years - starting with '91 to '01.   I can only try. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:38:43 AM by cschwab »

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

angieskidney

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
Did write the author of that article suggesting if she was worrying about saving money she ought figure out where the money has gone over the years - starting with '91 to '01.   I can only try. 

She probably is interested in the article as most authors want more information so they can write about the whole story -- usually unless she is being paid by a company that is only on one side of things...