Author Topic: FRKPA meeting Sept. 30th  (Read 2580 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
FRKPA meeting Sept. 30th
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »
Just thought I would let people know there is a Front Range Kidney Patients Association Meeting this Sept. 30th at Porter Hospital in Denver: http://frkpa.org/events (click on "regular meeting").  The speaker is going to talk about plant protein.
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: FRKPA meeting Sept. 30th
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
It was a great meeting and we had a good turnout!  The Fresenius dietician gave an excellent talk on the benefits of plant protein.  It was  big change from what I remember of my daughter's experience back in 2000; I remember her being told to eat meat, meat, and more meat!

I knew enough to be dangerous going into the meeting, but one of the big things I learned was about phytates.  I recall her saying they have the advantage of binding with phosphorus in plant protein and making the phosphorus unusable - a big plus for those on dialysis!  I asked about the lack of B vitamins in plant protein and she confirmed this could be taken care of with a renal vitamin - believe the same goes for iron?  Someone asked about the problem with beans containing potassium.  She answered that the amount of potassium varies by the type of bean, but if you wind up eating beans with high potassium just have them in moderation.  She also stated to look for plant protein with a high ratio of protein to potassium.  Also I recall from back when combining different plant proteins makes a whole protein.

She also recommended this book:  The Vegetarian Diet for Kidney Disease: Preserving Kidney Function With Plant-based Eating [Paperback]
Joan Brookhyser Hogan (Author)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:20:47 AM by cschwab »
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years