Author Topic: More Gurus & Stories (Coninuation from the IhateDialysis Diabetes forum)  (Read 1616 times)

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Part 3

Start of this is in the 'Low Carb diet for diabetes' topic at IhateDialysis.com

**David Dikeman is a young type one diabetic diagnosed at the age of 9. Since shortly after diagnosis he has followed a low carb high protein protocol and has consistently attained HbA1c's at 5.0% and below while averaging blood sugar in the 80s:
YouTube video: 'How I Manage My Type 1 Diabetes'
His YouTube channel
TypeOneGrit Facebook page of group he helped inspire for young type 1s and their parents

**Dr. Shawn Baker interviews Alex, a type 1 diabetic who hit near bottom and came back!  She mentions she had to have six months of incremental changes to get her diet straight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Books:
'Diabetes Solution' by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
'Gut and Physiology Syndrome' by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride
She also recommends Amber O'Hearn's blog and book:
Amber O'Hearn's website
*[1] Amber O'Hearn is a carnivore diet advocate, see my thoughts below on the carnivore diet.  It might be extreme for me, but maybe not others. Also see Dr. Eric Berg's take on the carnivore diet below.

**Dr. Eric Berg has impressed us with many of his videos.  One notable one was his video on niacin preventing heart attacks - especially notable since I have a family history of heart attacks.  I'm not sure I'm ready for the big doses he talks about, but it did get me eating more peanuts!  Another video worth mentioning is one he did with his take on the carnivore diet.  It seemed a fair assessment with both the downsides and the benefits:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Berg's Opinion on Carnivore Diet (a nice balanced discussion)
YouTube video: 'The #1 Best Remedy to Prevent a Heart Attack for $3.19'
His YouTube channel

**Dr. Sven Eckberg is one of the first people my wife ever watched concerning a low carb diet and diabetes - the rest is history!  I love the following video:
YouTube video: 'I Ate 100 TBSP Of BUTTER In 10 Days: Here Is What Happened To My BLOOD'
His YouTube channel

[1] Amber O'Hearn and Alex claim success with the carnivore diet (Alex short-term), but I wonder if it may not be for everybody.  I've looked at two groups of isolated populations: the Inuit of the Arctic Circle and Pima people of Arizona and Mexico. Both have one thing in common - prone to diabetes.  However their traditional diets vary widely. The Pima eat a traditional diet with higher carbs and the Inuit up near the north pole eat a more carnivore diet.  Their common enemy seems to be simple carbs and sugar.  Which reminds me of my wife and I.  My wife can handle more protein than me, I try to match her I'll wind up with IBS-C.  I obviously can handle the carbs better than she can, only having been prediabetic while she has had type 2 diabetes for over thirty years.  So a bowl of beans may not bother me the way it would her.  It looks like a matter of genetics.  She is happy with her meat-eating ways and I'm happy with a low-carb vegetarian diet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 07:40:28 AM by cschwab »
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Part 4
(parts 1-2 at IHateDialysis.com Diabetes Section)

After a discussion with my high-carb eating vegetarian son, I realized I needed to look more into the question "Does fat make you fat?".  The answer is it depends on whether you are already lean or your weight needs to come down.  This is according to a very reliable source I've mentioned on the IHateDialysis forum in Part 1: Dr. Jason Fung.  From what I'm getting from Dr. Fung's article on the Diet Doctor site is people who are insulin-resistant are also probably leptin-resistant (leptin tells the body to stop storing fat).

For the lean person trying to gain weight by eating fat, it will be hard.  Leptin will kick in and tell "the body to stop gaining weight".  Even if a lean person being force-fed fat will find it difficult to gain weight according to Dr. Fung since "leptin travels through your nervous system, stimulating fatty tissue to burn off fat and calories".  Your metabolism will be raised and the extra calories will be burned off.  The person could eat carbs and bring up the insulin which is the fat storage hormone - but storing fat isn't normally what a person wants.  What is left?  Protein[1].  According to Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, upping the protein and resistance training are the best ways to gain weight.  I've mentioned Dr. Bernstein on the IHateDialysis thread.  Which brings up another question: "How can you tell if you are getting too much protein?",  One way I know of is personal experience.  When I get too much protein my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) kicks in, or specifically IBS-C or constipation.  I'll also mention too many carbs will give me IBS-D or diarrhea.  Dennis Pollock, who I've also mentioned, and my wife might use what he calls "Mike the Meter" to tweak their diet.  I use "Gary the Gut".

For the person trying to lose weight, the combination of fat and carbs can definitely send a person in the wrong direction.  Insulin, again the fat storage hormone triggered mainly by carbs, will do what it is supposed to and cause a sedentary person to store more fat.  Add the fat to the diet and storage will naturally occur in the cells without leptin signaling satiety and not turning up the metabolism - a double whammy from both insulin-resistance and leptin-resistance!  From all my reading, what is a person to do if faced with the choice of only fat or carbs to choose from?  Knowing that carbs raise insulin and fat doesn't so much, also having seen the effects of the keto diet - fat looks to be the better choice for so many.  Heart problems from fat have been addressed further in this Reddit subreddit post.  Also LDL particle size has been addressed in this article.

My wife and I have tried to use a good balance of protein and fat, along with low-carb veggies to lose weight.  That protein/fat ratio can vary with the person and where they are at on their weight loss journey.

[1] Protein's first job is to repair - and build muscle and tissue.  It also can produce blood glucose with the extra through a process called  gluconeogenesis.  Protein and some fat can provide a stable blood glucose needed by such organs as the brain!  Carbs can produce a high and rapid rise in blood glucose, protein comes in second, and fat the least rise.  While carbs aren't essential, fat and protein are.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 09:12:43 AM by cschwab »

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Part 5
(parts 1-2 at IHateDialysis.com Diabetes Section)

British doctor pioneers low-carb diet as cure for obesity and type 2 diabetes
("cure" might be an exaggeration - but still  a notable article by Jon Ungoed-Thomas and the Guardian)

Quotes:
" I (Dr. Unwin) began to realise that what was wrong was that nobody looked any better. The people I was seeing were sicker and fatter."

"Unwin started a programme at the practice in 2013 offering a low-carb diet to patients with type 2 diabetes."

"The observational study published by Unwin and four other authors in BMJ Nutrition, Prevention & Health in January examined a cohort of 186 patients at the Norwood practice for an average diet duration of 33 months and found overall remission of type 2 diabetes was achieved in 51% of cases. The report found a fifth of all patients at the practice with type 2 diabetes achieved remission, with 77% of those following the programme in the first year of diagnosis achieving remission.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 09:31:48 AM by cschwab »

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings