Author Topic: Here today.  (Read 14437 times)

getlife

Here today.
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a small intro here.

35 going on 36 years with Chronic Kidney Disease. Diagnosed at age 11. Started hemodialysis at age 15.
Presently on in-center nocturnal hemodialysis. 3 nights a week, 8 hours each.

Two previous transplants, first one, living donor, rejected right away, removed after 6 weeks.
Second one, disease donor lasting 18 years.  Failed in 1999. Been on nocturnal since.

Back on transplant list a year in October.

Diana
S

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
Re: Here today.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
Hi Getlife,

Nice of you to drop by and welcome!  Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with all this and we look forward to hearing from you!

I'm glad to hear you are on slow nocturnal, I've heard a lot of good things about it.  If my daughter hadn't gotten the transplant I like to think we somehow could have gotten her on slow nocturnal.  One of the founders of this organization was a very big proponent of the treatment - Dr. Kenneth Bays.

Also good to see it's possible to do the treatment in-center.  Is it one of the big dialysis companies sponsoring this, or a smaller outfit?

Chris
Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

angieskidney

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
Hey Diana! I just realized you signed up! Nice to see you! :) Glad Nocturnal has been working for you! :) I never had the chance to do that as it is not available here but I would have liked to have had the chance.

Heard you got the call today and then they told you they had the wrong blood type? How did that happen?

getlife

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
@cschwab
I dialyze at a LDO.  Fresenius Medical Care.  Davita also offers in-center Nocturnal Hemodialysis. 

@Angie, I am sorry, I was just browsing when I saw I had some unanswered questions.  Well, I don't have to answer your question.  You know the whole story by now.

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
I'm well acquainted with Fresenius, they have the clinics around here.  Good to hear DaVita and Fresenius have made some progress when it comes to slow nocturnal!  I think you are the first person I've run into that is doing that sort of treatment in a clinic.  Do you have much trouble sleeping through it?  I'll bet your labs are a whole lot better than most!

I was also wondering if you know if Fresenius is able to cover their costs with in-clinic slow nocturnal?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:13:44 PM by cschwab »

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

getlife

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
Sleep..I take a sleeping pill around 11 PM and it kicks in within 20 minutes.  Others who also dialyze there, come and go to sleep right away.  I am just not one of them.  The 8 hours definitely beats any 4 hour treatments.  My labs are very good.  The spKt/v runs around 3.18-4.2.  My diet is less restricted.  No complications with any cramping...etc.  It is well worth it. 

cschwab

• Administrator
  • just an old bird dog
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
Get to cut back on meds too?  Sorry for all the questions, just you are the first person I've run into that does the in-clinic slow nocturnal - at least the first one who has made the mistake of mentioning it to me.  :)

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

angieskidney

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
@Angie, I am sorry, I was just browsing when I saw I had some unanswered questions.  Well, I don't have to answer your question.  You know the whole story by now.

Ya I do now since you answered on KidneyKorner instead.  :computer:

Sleep..I take a sleeping pill around 11 PM and it kicks in within 20 minutes.  Others who also dialyze there, come and go to sleep right away.  I am just not one of them.  The 8 hours definitely beats any 4 hour treatments.  My labs are very good.  The spKt/v runs around 3.18-4.2.  My diet is less restricted.  No complications with any cramping...etc.  It is well worth it. 

I always had trouble sleeping on dialysis so I don't know how you do it.  :confused: